Author Topic: Confused  (Read 1997 times)

Sprout

• Acre
Confused
« on: February 16, 2006, 19:25:23 »
Pumpkin virgin here. Bought some T&M MarsF1 Hybrid seeds to satisfy OH's halloween carving desires but there's a bit on the back of the packet i don't understand. Perhaps a pumpkin expert could enlighten me?

It says: ' germinate in 3" pots... on the surface of .....damp seed compost. Apply a layer of compost or vermiculite 1/2" deep'.

The bit i'm having trouble with is, how can one germinate on the surface of compost if an half inch layer of compost is then applied. The seed is no longer on the surface ???

Or does it mean that a layer of compost is applied after the seed has begun sprouting?
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Re: Confused
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 21:02:04 »
I think what they mean is put the seed on top of the potting compost and then cover it with 1/2" of vermiculite and leave to germinate.

You don't have to use vermiculite, I put them on their sides into small pots filled with potting soil and cover with about 1/2" of potting soil, then water them. They will need warmth to germinate so a sunny windowsill or as I do put them into the airing cupboard, they should germinate within about a week. Make sure the soil is moist but not waterlogged whilst germinating, to help maintain moisture cover the pots with plastic. Once the seedlings emerge take the plastic off otherwise they'll dampen off.

I'd say it's too early to start right now though, I'll be sowing around late march. :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 21:34:22 »
I just stick them into small pots, nothing fancy, once the weather warms up. They grow.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 23:07:12 »
Last year I did them in the airing cubboard also, two seeds to one pot and as Jesse's said.  Think did mine April or May.  Once they started they really grew very quickly, that's what I like about pumpkins, they really reward you with their mammoth rapid growth. Just hoping that last year wasn't beginners luck and I can have the same or better success this year. busy_lzzie
live your days not count your years

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 10:03:38 »
Thanks everyone - all is now clear.
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal