Author Topic: germinating parsnips  (Read 2723 times)

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
germinating parsnips
« on: May 17, 2006, 14:00:40 »
I just thought I'd tell you about how I managed to germinate some parsnips this year, as last year I only managed to get two to grow after three sowings.

I put small circles of potting compost on the soil, sowed the seeds and then put a plastic bottle ring/cloche over the top. I didn't have enough bottles to complete a row so just did the circles of compost for the rest. The germination in the cloches was almost 100%, so I was very pleased with them. Obviously this isn't practical for huge numbers, but if you only want a few it's good.

So ... on Sunday I thought I would take the bottle cloches off the ones which had germinated and put them on the ones which hadn't germinated and resow them.
Yesterday I went to look at my cosseted parsnips and the ones which had germinated and had the bottles removed had nearly all been eaten by slugs. :'( :'(

Will I ever get parsnips to grow???

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
Re: germinating parsnips
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 14:19:39 »
Sorry I've posted this twice but the site went down and then I thought it hadn't posted, so I posted it again and forgot where I'd put it.

The site seems to be having trouble again as it seems very slow.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 23:09:44 »
i know i'm being impatient (14 days) but no sign of my parsnips.  i've only got "tub space" left, would be ideal for four circles/cloches.

thanks for the tip vee.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 10:34:51 »
I have problems with slugs eating parsnip seeds too Mrs KP.

I now sow about 10 - 15 parsnip seed per station and gradually thin out the ones which don't get eaten by slugs or germinate. I don't thin them all out at once because its sods law that as soon as you thin them down to a single seedling per station, something else will come along and eat them.

I have also been working on the idea of improving plastic collars as barriers which you may find useful, have a look at the picture on page 2 of the 'securing black plastic' thread for more information.

All the best,
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

dicky

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 13:19:26 »
I had a good result with them this year, made holes with a bulb planter and filled it with sand/compost mixture then put half a dozen seeds per station, all stations had a t least one, most needed thinning, they are romping away now, no slug problems, them seem to be after the strawberries.

The carrots doen the same didn't do so well, i think they didn't like the cold we had, the earlies and the mains came up the same time despite being planted 4 weeks apart.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 19:37:32 »
I grew mine in paper pots in the greenhouse then planted the pots in their final position.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 21:00:48 »
Mike so jealous.  I sowed mine in situ using the big dibber method and putting compost in the hole.  It is ten days now but no signs, but I probably still have time for them to come up. Hope so!! busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 21:12:59 »
I must be luck as I sow mine direct, I did this last year also and had good germination and a great crop. ;D

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 21:40:30 »
BL, I did the same as you and have only about half a dozen lonely seedlings.  They have been in about 18 days now.  I am wondering whether to go and buy another packet in case the others weren't fresh enough although they were a new packet this Spring.   I shall give it another few days and see if any more come up.  Just wanted you to know you are not alone!

T.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 22:44:25 »
Even the seeds sown in paper pots in the greenhouse took nearly three weeks to come through, just keep yours watered they may yet appear.

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 22:51:26 »
I sowed two rows, which OH, the following week, forgot were there, and hoed the bed.  ::)

The law of s*d has dictated that these parsnip seeds are now having no problems germinating - in a lovely scatter pattern, in among the caulis and broccoli which I have since planted in that bed after OH's little bit of preparation.  :)
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal