Author Topic: peas which is the best way  (Read 2212 times)

loulou

• Acre
  • what have i let myself in for
peas which is the best way
« on: February 12, 2006, 19:59:06 »
i am growing  more peas this year than i normaly do i was woundering which is the best way to train them i used some sticks and chicken wire last year but was woundering if there was a more perminant structure i could make that can be moved from place to place each year  ant advice would be most gratefull thanks from loulou

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: peas which is the best way
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 22:59:25 »
???

Not sure, but last year when i looked around on my site people chose one of two methods:

Pea sticks...branchy kinda sticks which give the peas something to grip on to.

Fancy creation of bamboo canes and green plastic netting.

Seems to me that getting the stuff off the netting at the end of the season would be a bit of a faff!!

loulou

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 00:47:27 »
thank you im looking for a strong type whichh can be moved whole when needed i get too tangled in netting (clumbsy me lol) thanks again much apreshiated

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 07:04:30 »
Never heard of anyone making a permanent pea structure. You could construct something out of metal stakes and chicken wire then burn the pea haulms off at the end of the season but I would have thought it was easier to just use new, twiggy sticks each year. ;)

loulou

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 00:31:11 »
thanks ill try all serjestions i think and find the best for me thanks again f rom loulou

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 09:27:06 »
My Dad used a wide roll of chicken wire on hazel stakes, unrolled and put each side of a wide row of peas at the start of the year, unrolled and put away at the end of the year. I think it depends on the type of pea - I'll be growing tall 'uns this year, but have used sticks successfully for shorties.

roundtoit

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 09:55:22 »
You could try making some stakes (no. depending on length of row) with 1 vertical and 2 or three cross arms (like several Ts on top of each other). The cross arms have nails or screw eyes in the top side to take string or wire run the length of the row so you end up with something that looks like minature pylons - all that is then needed is to persuade the peas to make the initial attachment to the strings and let them run up and tie themselves in as they need. The posts could be reused year to year and if you used natural fibre it should rot down when you rip out the top growth at end of season. It's easy to do but harder to describe in print!!!

loulou

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 17:20:34 »
thanks my plot is going to look very strange indeed im going to try all serjestions i think  thanks again from loulou

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 10:06:44 »
The organic gardening catelogue sell a permanent structure that can be moved - pea hoops with netting. Never tried it and it does look quite pricey but it sounds like something you might want to check out?

http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1401
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

loulou

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 10:37:31 »
thank you very much thats like what i emagend only taler thanks ill bribe the other half to make one

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 11:15:46 »
thanks for the link sprout, looks excellent, and at 1.8m long and £25 works out cheaper than OH lol  ;D

mike_w

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 20:19:19 »
For those with kids just growing out of the football phase...

I have used my son's old garden football goal for a couple of years now but Katy is right, it is a pain extracting the old growth from the netting at the end of the season. This year I am experimenting with using my dismembered Christmas tree.

Mike
Quantum ille canis in fenestra est?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal