Author Topic: What temperture......  (Read 1866 times)

Compost Kelly

What temperture......
« on: February 13, 2006, 10:35:51 »
Hi everyone, i just bought a double wick paraffin heater for my greenhouse and its the first time i have ever used one.  Could you tell me what temperture i should be heating up to?  I am about 3 degrees higher than outside at the moment-will i be able to start any seedlings off yet? ???

thanks in advance
Kelly  ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: What temperture......
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 06:35:39 »
Kelly - it's a bit hard that you haven't had a reply. Trouble is, it's an open ended question.

1. What do you want to propagate?
2. Where will you put it when ready? In or out?
3. How big is your 'house?
4. How hot can you afford???

Mostly, for veg, you don't need a heated 'house so much as a propagator, & there's much about the use of those on the site.

Compost Kelly

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 11:43:35 »
Hi, thanks for your reply.  I am starting a few flowers for my hanging baskets and pots.  I am mainly growing soft fruits and vegetables, i just wated to get a sharp start as my garden is bare.  i have turned the heater down as i think it was getting too warm in there and i am using about 8 litres of parraffin a week!  getting expensive!!  :o
We bought a new house with a 100ft back garden and a green house.......... i have never had a garden before so i have lots of enthusiasm and not too much knowledge! so any help would be apprieciated.   thanks in advance x  ;D ???

ruudbarb

• Half Acre
  • Let's get dirty and dig up the spuds..........
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 16:48:07 »
Hi, thanks for your reply.  I am starting a few flowers for my hanging baskets and pots.  I am mainly growing soft fruits and vegetables, i just wated to get a sharp start as my garden is bare.  i have turned the heater down as i think it was getting too warm in there and i am using about 8 litres of parraffin a week!  getting expensive!!  :o
We bought a new house with a 100ft back garden and a green house.......... i have never had a garden before so i have lots of enthusiasm and not too much knowledge! so any help would be apprieciated.   thanks in advance x  ;D ???

When you buy packets of seeds most have instructions on them as to what temperatures to germinate at and often, the temperatures at which to grow on.  These are always ideal figures and most seedlings will cope with lower temperatures but don't go down too low and chill them as that will often stop growth for quite a while followed by a slow and lengthy recovery.  I would aim for an average minimum night time temp of 10degC [50degF] although short drops to 5 to 7degC [40 to 45degF] shouldn't seriously harm anything. 

You would be better off using a heated propagator, if you have electricity in the greenhouse, for germination and use the main heater for keeping the frost out.  Another method that works well is to create a mini poly tunnel or large cloche on the staging.  Don't forget the sun will now heat up the greenhouse very rapidly into the upper 20's degC which, when a cloud rolls over, falls back like a stone.  The secondary protection helps to stabilize temperatures and gives worthwhile extra frost protection. Too much heat at this time of year often can lead to major problems not least of which is that the plants get too big too early with a lack of protected space for growing them on.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal