Author Topic: How big are your chits???  (Read 6514 times)

MattyJC

• Half Acre
  • South Oxfordshire
Re: How big are your chits???
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2006, 20:46:26 »
Mine look kind of similar to Tims, thankfully, I was worrying about them until I posted on here a while back asking for help...thanks all!

Cant wait to get them in the ground!

sussexcliff

• Not So New ...
  • It's not shirt sleeve weather at the moment!
    • And I work (when I'm not at the allotment) at
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2006, 22:38:40 »
We have heard that, in a test last year, chitted and unchitted potatoes started at the same time produced virtually identical results.

As a result as I don't have any space for chitting the 'tates then they got planted on Saturday. (All except the Maris Piper, the blisters from the trowel finally got to me!)

Had a great day at Seedy Sunday, www.seedysunday.org, found some 'Lazy Housewife' and 'Cherokee Trail of Tears' climbing french beans (both Vegetable Heritage ones) and also some Sante Shallots (very good price.)
Cheers everyone
Cliff
Just muddling along, trying various crops, styles etc, will repeat what works. Will try again what doesn't!!
Photo is of me ballet dancing or is it watering the strawberries?

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2006, 19:44:16 »
Went to have a look-see in my dark lumber room this am - it's cold in there brrrr & most have started chitting, so I'll take them into the cold but lighter potting shed tomorrow. BUT the Arran Pilot have gone beserk - strong white fingers bout 9cm, as well as normal chit-sized chits :o Do I rub off the bigger ones, please?

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2006, 20:50:06 »
just run and hide lish-they're obviously triffids! ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2006, 23:45:45 »
they look like Dead Man's fingers :o

Jockthebear.

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2006, 00:12:56 »
Tim,
      Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, old chap, but one of your PFAs appears to have turned into a banana.

Jimmy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2006, 07:25:05 »
Silly question - is just the earlies that should be chitted or maincrop spuds as well? Seem to recollect reading somewhere or the other that not so necessary for maincrop as they are less in need of getting off to a good start.

My King Edwards and Desiree seem to be sprouting away quite happily, better than the earlies actually.

Jim

tin can

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2006, 07:35:17 »
Tim . Can't tell from the photo but the right way up is with the eyebrow under the eye, like a smile. I'm sure they will grow whatever!!  ;) Mine are green and half a cm long.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2006, 10:43:38 »
The photo should show that the seed is almost completely round & that there are shoots from bottom, sides & top. When I plant, I just have the best lot upwards & rub out any others.

'Necessary' for main? Even less so than for earlies, I would suggest.

NOW - what have I always banged on about? You can't mess around with nature?? They'll chit if they want to chit. And 5-6 weeks to chit, as said elsewhere? The potatoes will decide.

Well, you saw ours a few days ago - don't normally like to plant until mid-March - but there's no way I could hold them back any more.

So - in the freezing rain -

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2006, 11:09:52 »
Yikes. I'm not looking to put any out till the last week of March (week off!) though if weather looks fit I may start the previous weekend.

Tim, you doing any bucket potatoes this year?  I'm about to get the Rockets going soon: they've chitted like they're on steroids!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2006, 11:17:49 »
Mine weren't all bought at once, and the chits vary from 1/16 inch to 1/4 inch. I won't even think of planting yet, there's no point in putting anything in too early. Right now I want to concentrate on digging.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2006, 12:53:43 »
Mine first lot won't go in until the kids are back at school, either next week or the week after, so the end of Feb, start of March.  Lish, I know you can plant them with monster chits, but the problem is they are so brittle so potentially snap when you back fill the planting hole.  I guess I would rub just the longest off and try to really really slow things down - out in bright, cold light...... :-\

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2006, 13:11:07 »
Moonbells - no!

Robert - agree - if you have control. My point was that I don't. The shoots were already over 1" long (in full light & 40F) & nothing could be gained by holding on to them any longer. Or so I believe.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 14:01:26 by tim »

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2006, 13:13:06 »
  Lish, I know you can plant them with monster chits, but the problem is they are so brittle so potentially snap when you back fill the planting hole.  I guess I would rub just the longest off and try to really really slow things down - out in bright, cold light...... :-\

Thanks for the answer,  EJ, you're a star *

Cheers!

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2006, 16:23:20 »
i'm trying my adora in buckets-i got them free and shared so i have 5 tubers and i have lots of others to cram in....

tim....will those grow  faster and be ready even earlier?

and i take it from your answer you arent a great believer in chitting taters then?

kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2006, 16:49:36 »
kitty -

Seed in tubs - yes, if they are indoors. I did 5 to a 50cm trug. Keeping them just moist is the hassle.

Chitting? Oh, dear - my English is lost on these lovely girls!!

1. We read that chitting is not necessary & gave no advantage in comparative tests.
2. However, most of the potatoes that I have had have sprouted of their own accord &, as I say above, you can't stop them!! If that means putting them out a bit early, so be it - just have the fleece handy & mould them well. Even if they do get caught by frost, they will recover.
3. I think that it's an awful waste of a potato's effort to rub off the first shoots because they don't fit in with your plan. Even if they are a few inches long, they will grow on but, as said, need great care in planting.
4. If my seed arrived very late, right or wrong I would not waste time chitting them. The ground will be warming up & I'm sure that they would gain little being kept out of it for several weeks.

5. Where's Phil??

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2006, 17:20:49 »
...must go and have a look at mine, they're in a cold greenhouse.

Where is Phil?? - Are potato days still happening? Might be the reason he hasn't been

around lately.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2006, 17:29:07 »
...had a look!

I've got two varieties:

Charlotte - chits are on average about 1/4" and pink fir v.small

Also have other'supermarket' ones (yes that's naughty ;D)

which I shall have a go with ( Desiree and Maris Piper)

Debs

pakaba

• Half Acre
  • Smile, Life's too short to worry about weeds :-)
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2006, 12:37:43 »
The only thing i've got chitting are the bakers I bought from sainsburys a couple of weeks ago....... ;D  
Haven't planted a single seed or bought a single seed potato yet :o!
I was supposed to be buying the seed potatoes today, I had been PROMISED all week that I would have today to myself to get things started... but oh no DH has to go to work all weekend.....  :'( :'( :'( :'( I am so gutted.  I reckon he just realised that going to work is easier than looking after our 3 'beautiful angels ' :P

Sorrry, but just wanted to vent to folk who i know will understand my frustration.... I know i've still got plenty of time, but I am itching to get things going.

PAKABA
reduce, re-use, recycle.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2006, 17:14:30 »
Yippee! I finally have my seed potatoes. I seem to have ordered more than I thought, we may well be eating lots of potatoes  next year.

International Kidney (will start chitting straight away)
Desiree
Cara
Valour

I will also choose a few PFA tubers for some extra plants, these are well worth growing.

I feel like the Spring is finally approaching now  :)
The impossible is just a journey away ...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal