Author Topic: sweet potato slips  (Read 1438 times)

Anne Robertson

• Acre
sweet potato slips
« on: February 12, 2006, 15:56:58 »
I've just suspended some sweet potatoes in water as per instructions I read some where. Will the slips grow from the potato that is above the water or below? Sorry if it's a daft question but I don't want to fork out £9.99 like last year for slips. Anyone tried growing them this way?
thanks, ani :)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Re: sweet potato slips
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 16:00:21 »
I've got mine sitting horizontally in a tray of water, the parts that are wet in the water are shooting little white roots, the parts not in the water are shooting slips. But the slips are growing very slowly, they're in the room at about 18C but I think they need more heat, might start putting them in the airing cupboard during the night and out on the sunny windowsill during the day.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 17:16:18 »
Don't know if this is of any help, but last year I sowed tropical/exotic seeds in cells and they were soooo slow in germinating that one day I decided to water them - from below - with hot water (out of frustration rather than knowledge!). I emptied and refilled the trays three times a day.  Two days later they'd all germinated. I kept doing this until the seedlings looked strong enough to cope with cooler temps - about a fortnight, if that - and they were fine.

I wonder if this would work with the slips?
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 19:50:35 »
Hey ani, yes, it's like the old instructions for growing an avocado stone with three toothpicks in it (probly before your time lol). When I get back home I will forward the section from my Booke which is very comprehensive.
 ;D

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 20:21:05 »
Amazin I think that's the problem with mine, they need more heat to get going, perhaps once they're big enough for potting up then they'll be okay with a lower temp.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 18:59:39 »
I wish I could say it was before my time but you've only got a year on
me supersprout ;D Looking forward to your info.thanks.
I have my jars standing on a heated propagator so the water is always warm. Got it out at the weekend and put a few seeds in a couple of the trays and I'm checking them every 2 mins! The excitement of seasons first sowings ;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 09:15:51 »
Ani, take a look at Mike B's post today in another sweet spud thread at http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,57/topic,16966.0/topicseen,topicseen
plus a great piccy showing what your sweet potato will look like growing its slips  ;D

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 09:24:28 »
I have a few little roots appearing  ;D I hope mine will end up looking like those on the other thread. Should I change the water every so often as it looks quite murky now?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal