Author Topic: Dismantling a greenhouse  (Read 2807 times)

deboydoyd

• Half Acre
  • Bit of digging - it'll be fine
Dismantling a greenhouse
« on: February 09, 2006, 15:35:48 »
I have a greenhouse ! Been looking for ages, and have got a 6' X 8' for £25 to dismantle and transport. Very excited, but any tips on dismantling, transporting & setting back up? There is already a 6'X 8' brick base on the allotment from the greenhouse that blew down before my day.

agapanthus

• Hectare
Re: Dismantling a greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 15:57:28 »
Be very careful!!!! Had a bit of an accident the other day helping a friend dismantle one........the roof caved in and I was standing underneath...but luckily managed to get out of the way in time:) Remove the glass first....and then start on the framework..perhaps the roof. Good luck ;D

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 16:02:01 »
Assuming it is an aluminium one:
Remove the glazing and save all unbroken glass. Dispose of the spring clips (except a couple as samples) which held the glass. Buy new ones either locally or off the internet.
Take several photogaphs of the frame.
Dismantle it only into the largest sections you can transport (preferably two sides, two roof sections,one front ,one rear).
Re.erect it on the new base. Check inparticular that it does fit the base, that all bolts are tight (replace as necessary), that you have replaced the glazing sealing strip in addition to the glazing clips, that any glass which has gone brittle with age has been replaced.
There you go, one new greenhouse :) ;)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 16:52:04 »
oh how i wish i had a greenhouse.  i bought one off ebay but bottled it as the day i was to dismantle it and collect it was blowing a force 9 hurricane and i didn't fancy having to drive for an hour with a ton of glass in the back of the van.  the seller was very understanding though.

i must be satisfied with my new shed for the time being and perhaps get a cold frame as well.

i'm going to ask him indoors for a g/h for my birthday  :P
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 16:54:58 »
i will go and find the link to a previous thread  on this, rather than typing all my messgae again... ;D

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 18:53:30 »
Handle the glass with care. I got one and managed to break most of it.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 20:01:44 »
ooo, well done, I dismantled a small gh a couple of weeks ago ... once we realised that we needed to remove the glass first and got our heads around how to get the clips out it went fairly easily. 

Don't forget thick gloves and lots of newspaper / blankets to wrap glass in.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 21:47:13 »
When I dismantled one, the previous owner had spray-painted the frame for some crazy reason. Some panes were glued in and impossible to remove without breaking them.

deboydoyd

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 21:50:03 »
Thanks, brilliant advice. Will tell my husband to read all this at work tonight. Don't think he's looking forward to it.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 21:53:56 »
... is he getting a special treat as a reward ?

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 08:48:23 »
Transportin the glass is the biggest problem, a spec of grit between panes can cause them to crack. Make sure if you're stacking them that they are very clean and if using a car I'd put a couple of sheets of newspaper between each one and put them on a seat rather than in the boot.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 09:15:09 »
I think You will find a pair of long nosed pliers will come in handy for removing clips.. Lot easier than using Your fingers.....Jim
Cheers .. Jim

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 09:33:40 »
....and a h/duty 'stanley knife' for the jointing material. If it's silicone, a hotair gun can help.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 10:02:28 »
Useful advice as we are just about to dismantle ours. Luckily there is no transporting involved as it is just be moved to another part of the garden, so (cross fingers) we are hoping it will be quite straightforward.  ;D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

deboydoyd

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2006, 20:01:16 »
Just an update.
Greenhouse dismantled-only one slightly damaged piece of glass--just have to put it back up again now--Thanks for the advise.

P.S. No husband hasn't been rewarded as yet!!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2006, 20:09:31 »
when are they ever  ;)
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal