Author Topic: Taking rose cuttings - Does anyone know how to do it? - HELP !!!!!  (Read 1465 times)

leesa662000

• Quarter Acre
I have a very beautiful rose bush (well I think it is !) and I'd love to know how to make more !

I've tried to take cuttings but the attempt was in vain....

Does anyone know when / how to take them .....and  from which bits?

Thanks....... any feedback would be very much appreciated

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
You need to take them before winter, say October. Up to 12" lengths of pencil-thickness pieces. Avoid flowering pieces or trim those off. Then either make a slit in the soil about 8" deep and put some sharp sand in the bottom, put in sticks, close up slit with soil firmly and ignore until late spring, when you should have fresh growth OR put around the edge of a big pot, again well-drained, and put in a sheltered position (same is true for the ground-planted pieces, actually) and ignore - north aspect is OK. I have some in a pot right now from last autumn  ;)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
You can stick em in rooting compound before you pot them

leesa662000

• Quarter Acre
Thanks everyone for that.  I tried hormone rooting powder.......but sadly they all turned black ( looking back.....thats where the well drained bit comes in).

Does anyone know which bits to cut off.... ie. do they have to be a certain thickness.....how old the growth must be etc

thanks again

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
YEs you need to ensure good drainage or it all becomes a nasty goo and dies

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
We all do things in different ways, my way with rose cuttings is to choose growth that has flowered, this ensures it is ripe, about July time.Cut about 12 inches long with very sharp secatures or knife just below a bud.Make a slit in the garden soil with a spade put some coarse sand in followed by the cutting and firm well.You should leave it then for at least 12 months as there is enough sap in the wood for shoots to start before it has made any roots.I get about 80 0/0 take doing it this way.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal