Author Topic: Frog Watch  (Read 16245 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re: Frog Watch
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2006, 17:41:32 »
Debs, Our frogs have always been very unmoved by our dog (when he was with us), and our two cats, who used to hang around the pond very curiously, wondering what was going on.   :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2006, 18:28:51 »
Still no sign of frogs here although there were some fish lurking when I went out earlier.

Mind you our ponds are so full of vegetation that it's hard to tell. Fish are easier to spot.

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2006, 20:21:11 »
After making my last post, I discovered the following morning that we had our first batch of home-produced spawn.
Had one of my fellow natterjack wardens round this morning, bringing me a load of 30 litres of frogspawn, plus a heavily pregnant female, all removed from our prime natterjack breeding pond.
JeremyB

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2006, 08:13:51 »
Wooohoooo!

frogs in South Cheshire at last.

Yesterday, a couple wrapped around each other well camouflaged against the pebbles in my sunken seating area, and had to move another lass on so I oculd turn my compose heap.  I knew there was a good chance as my frog averse shreiking neighbour came out to warn me she'd been accosted by several in her garden on Saturday.  Can start counting down to a new batch of froglets for the rockery now.  :-)
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2006, 17:35:33 »
Our neighbours told us that their garden was full of "our" frogs and promptly built a pond of their own. Takes all sorts...

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2006, 23:36:28 »
Have been worried about our frogs and their spawn during all this snowy weather, but checked on them earlier and they are fine, still "at it" and still producing lots of frog spawn.  All our snow has magically disappeared, though we have had lots of hail showers tonight.  busy_lizzie

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2006, 19:45:54 »
Jean,

Tell your frogs to take a walk up to my pond please ;D

I still haven't seen any 'activity'

Debs ???

chuff

• Half Acre
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2006, 20:59:42 »
I built my pond last week and put some water in just to hold the liner in place till I could get down the lotti again. when I went down 3 days later there was a frog in my pond ;D I am so chuffed! Must have been desperate for a home because I haven't furnished it yet ;D ;D ;D

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2006, 22:24:09 »
Debs, I have been out this afternoon to look at the pond, and I think the poor frogs mustn't know if they are coming or going with the on/off snow conditions we are having.  We have six clumps of frog spawn in the pond, but no frogs to be seen now.  Don't know if they have finished or having a break in between the wintery weather.  Perhaps your frogs have got more sense and are waiting for more stable weather before they start producing.  :D busy_lizzie

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2006, 19:08:51 »
Hope so BL or children will be very disappointed.

Shall wait and hope :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2006, 21:23:51 »
Frog activity seen today despite the cold. No sign of spawn however

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2006, 10:35:36 »
I got Spawn! Horrah, they are all out there going berserk in my pond! 5 days later than last year!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2006, 10:36:59 »
Debs, if yours don't produce any, you are welcome to some of ours.  :) busy_lizzie

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2006, 14:35:42 »
Today I saw our first tadpoles OUTSIDE the spawn bubbles, but still feeding on it. Also got a couple of strings of toad spawn.
JeremyB

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2006, 21:13:12 »
During that 'springlike' day we had last week, they all came up & started pairing.
Now they've all disappeared again as it's so cold I suppose.
Still, there's a promise of mild temps. this W/E so hopes raised!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2006, 11:19:27 »
Our ponds are frozen solid this morning.  Poor frogs, they must be very confused about this "Spring" weather! busy_lizzie

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2006, 12:42:55 »
Absolutely no sign whatsoever of any of 'my' frogs yet.   :( Mind you the pond only thawed out for two days.  ::) It's frozen solid again now as we're getting severe frosts each night.  :'( :'(

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2006, 17:32:35 »
Mine have now fledged and are airborne, or at least one poor s*d was this afternoon.  Frog averse neighbour found one strolling about & had her hubby repatriate it into my garden over the fence.

Thing is, I'm sure it's the one I lifted over the fence into mine at the weekend.  it'll need counselling at this rate.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

jeanaustin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2006, 11:39:58 »
At last we've got a frog in our garden in Suffolk!  Just one solitary female so far.  But hoping for more .....
The two allotment ponds had ice on them up until Friday so now that the weather is warming up and the ice melted hoping to see frogs there too.  Lots of children up on the allotment wildlife area yesterday morning  looking at the ponds hoping to see frogs and frog spawn, but they were disappointed.   But maybe in the next few days they'll arrive

beckbeck

• Not So New ...
  • my allotment
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2006, 23:06:28 »
I'm in worcestershire and have small wildlife pond in garden,last week we had 2 frogs or possibly toads mating :o on our patio,they sat there all day one on top of the other,in the rain,and only hopped off (or walked if toads ) when it went dark,i have seen frogs like this in the pond but not in the garden which is why i wondered if they could be toads,as i'm sure they walk along in this position to the spawning site,does anybody know,i have also seen two frogs in the garden today,but no frog spawn in the pond yet.Becky x

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal