Author Topic: New Starter help me pleeeaaase!  (Read 1895 times)

Flowertot

• Not So New ...
New Starter help me pleeeaaase!
« on: February 05, 2006, 21:37:22 »
Hi All

I've just taken an allotment - am very excited but haven’t a clue what I'm doing.  Want to grow the usual root veggie selection but don't know what varieties to go for.  The plot is well cared for and still has some produce from previous owner (mostly leeks).  Previous to that the plot was used as a chicken run!  How will this affect the soil?  Any advise will be very welcome.

Ta ......

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: New Starter help me pleeeaaase!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 21:42:40 »
The soil should be extremely fertile! It should have lots of nitrogen, which will make nettles and anything else grow fast, possibly too fast for some crops. I like Tender and True parsnips, Duke of York early potatoes and King Edward maincrops.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 21:49:16 »
 ;D Hi and welcome aboard ;) Worry not of variety they are all designed to grow and they will, just buy what you like to eat. A great time to start your lottie off, dig yourself a patch 6ft x 4ft ideally on the chicken run ;D sow a few seeds in pots / seed trays thin out seedlings and when well established plant out, easy peasy ;D
Have fun that's what it's about ;D

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 21:57:39 »
A warm welcome to you. As said before should be very fertile....but be wary of sowing carrots...they fork if the soil is too rich. Potatoes, onions and brassicas should do well. Have lots of fun!!!! ;D

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 23:50:05 »
Definitely a warm welcome.  :)

Don't forget to use the search button for lots of your enquiries, there is SOOOOOOOOOOOO much info to read

look forward to chatting with you
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

loulou

• Acre
  • what have i let myself in for
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 06:20:17 »
i  would say to you grow what you eat and try somthing new to any help wanted just ask some gr8 person on here willl have the answer by the way a warm welcome to you happy growing  ;D

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 07:32:07 »
The best advice I could give is to buy this book....http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0751336831/qid=1139211041/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_2_1/203-1643557-9772769

It was all I ever needed to get me going when I got my first allotment.
It'll be better next year

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 07:41:20 »
Or Joy Larckom's book - Grow Your Own Vegetables, which is many people's bible on here.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/071121963X/ref=pd_sim_b_dp_2/203-6383823-7188726

Enjoy your plot, don't overdo the digging when you first start, although it sounds as if you haven't such a hard job as some people on here have had if the plot has recently been used.  Take plenty of photos then you can see how much progress you have made, and we are all interested to see them...

Have fun..

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 17:14:55 »
A cheaper way is to do a search on here. All the info on any book you could buy will be found in these pages along with problems that people have encountered.

greenboo

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 19:19:53 »
hello new starter, i,ve just logged on to this site for first time and saw your message. it could have been written by me . i.m in exactly same position as you.got my first allotment yesterday, its a right tip but soil looks great. i.m on holiday this week so keen to make a start but not quite sure what to do first. tempted to burn the old ferret hut as job number one then after that prob do some digging. good luck with yours hope to learn plenty from the replies but not yet clear how this site works(not only an allotment virgin but not too hot on e mails either!!)  sure i'll pick it up ,cheers

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 22:20:32 »
Ferret poo is probably good stuff; what did your predecessor do with it?

Flowertot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 11:32:55 »
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and advise.  Will be making a start with the rotovator on the weekend! :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal