Produce > Edible Plants

Leeks

(1/4) > >>

Palustris:
Had the first taste of this years leeks today. This is one called Hannibal, a Heritage variety. Very nice too. It is an early variety which will not stand much frost. Anyone else tried it?

Colin_Bellamy-Wood:
Hi Eric, we've got King Richard, and Stanley.   One I sowed a month later that t'other.   The later ones look two months ahead of the older ones  :o   We've only tried a couple of the larger ones that had been bashed over (by my neighbours hound), but despite being larger ones, relatively they were quite small, and I'm afraid I couldn't get excited about them.

Following advice, I'm leaving them in the ground until they are a lot bigger - then we'll see.   I'm scratching my head over the smaller ones - will they make it before Christmas  ???

My wife,  Arlene, makes a superb leek and potato soup, so I'm looking forward to when they are ready, and when there's more room in the freezer.   BTW does anyone need the recipe  ???

Mrs Ava:
Wow....leeks already!  My neighbour gave me some of hers about 2 weeks ago and they are not much thicker than pencils!  I should ask her what variety they are.  Will they be okay left in the ground thru the winter?  ??? I have looked around at other peeps plots and most aren't all that much bigger than mine to be honest.

ooooo and my grandma used to make egg and leeky pasty, which was delish.....just in case anyone is interested. ::)

Doris_Pinks:
My leeks are babies too! I seem to suffer, (well not me personally, my leeks) from leek rust. My garlic and my onions get it also. bit of a pain. :'(

tim:
no need to worry about size - dependent upon variety, they will do their own thing.

We've been pulling leeke for several weeks - 4-5 cm thick and 60 cm high. Now, I'm not boasting - for us this is a bad thing  - nice as they are at any time, especially for summer vinaigrettes, leeks are for the lean time. When we really need them we won't have them. Our late sowing failed.  - Tim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version