Author Topic: Where to visit on Holiday  (Read 1214 times)

Yellow Petals

Where to visit on Holiday
« on: February 05, 2006, 22:15:43 »
In May, hubby and I will be staying in a lodge on Ilkley Moor, West Yorkshire and  was wondering whether any members can suggest places to visit?

I know of Skipton Castle and Old Mother Shipleys but that's about it!  ;D

Oooo, and I've noticed that we'll not be too far from Haworth - excellent!

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
Re: Where to visit on Holiday
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 22:23:12 »
hey YP, Haworth is fabulous and definitely worth a visit ... if you are there early May (5/6) there are usually some VE day celebrations taking place, lots of 'old time' dancing (but you need to get your tickets soon!) and excellent restaurants. 

You'll have a great time.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 22:35:14 »
If you can make it as far as Hebden Bridge there is a lovely cheese and wine shop, some old vinyl record shops for a trip down memory lane, and lots of cafes, pubs etc for lunch.

Hardly any of the usual high street type shops and still has its own character, worth a visit!!

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 00:09:15 »
Welcome t' Yorkshire, thall love it.

RHS Harlow Carr in Harrogate, plus Harrogate itself if you want to travel. Harry Ramsdens fish & chips in Guisley. I can recommend a great pub just outside Howarth The Grouse in Oldfield on the Colne road.In Halifax you can see the Piece Hall, an old Georgian building where cloth was sold pre industrial revolution, and while you are in Halifax visit Shibden Hall Folk museum, and just down the road Dove Cottage Plants.
And you are on the doorstep of the Yorkshire Dales, can't go wrong really.Thorpe Perrow arboretum in Bedale is a treat.

Enjoy th'sen

Brian

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 11:04:17 »
If you like walking - or even just stunning scenery - don't miss Malham to see Malham Cove and Gordale Scar.  Malham village iteself is picturesque but the surrounding scenery is breathtaking.

Haworth's very touristy so expect to queue for the Bronte Museum, but it is fascinating.

My OH is a Yorkshireman so I'll ask him for some more tips if you'd like.

You'll have a lovely time!

CLx

petemason

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 14:19:33 »
Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Water Garden at Ripon is a World Heritage Site.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-fountainsabbeyandstudleyroyalwatergarden/
Oldham born, Oldham bred.
Strong inth'arm and thick inth'ead

http://mysticveg.blogspot.com/

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 19:20:10 »
??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Yellow Petals

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 19:38:02 »
Oh, I should point out that I am quite familiar with Yorkshire, as my mum's side of the family come from/live there.  I've spent many, many holidays there and I love it.  Been to Haworth about five times or more and it's never enough. 

I wanted to ask as I've never stayed in that particular part of Yorkshire before and of course nobody knows the hidden attractions like the locals do :) 

Thank you all for your suggestions and ideas, very much appreciated  :)

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 20:01:23 »
My Aunt lives in Haworth so I am a regular Yorkshire'r! Haworth is greta, visit the Bronte parsonage- a very interesting couple of hours. A general walk round th etown is good. Harlow Carr garden is great, a MUST see garden. Make sure you visit 'Bettys' tea rooms. Great service, lovely seasonal meals and overall a great gastrononmic experience. A great spot for Afternoon tea  ;D! Im sure you'll love that! BUT beware, Bettys is a bit on the expensive side but its pure British tradition to go and have a Cup of tea and a Bettys special 'The Fat Rascal'.

Have a good'un and just pure relaxation!
Dan :-)

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 17:55:34 »
Sorry, have only just read about you going to Haworth before- sorry!  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal