Author Topic: A Fully Carpeted Plot!  (Read 1324 times)

Aeeeek

• Not So New ...
  • Fifi Forget-me-not rocks!!!!........
A Fully Carpeted Plot!
« on: February 05, 2006, 16:48:31 »
Just been down to check out my new, new plot ( moving sites) and under a good layer of grass is carpet , in fact it is carpeted  top to toe over the whole plot and under the carpet is clear plastic, according to the neighbours this plot hasn't been used for at least a 2 years ( the plastic is very brittle)

Under the carpet and plastic the soil is very, very hard ( and shiny!) will being under these layers of carpet/plastic for so long have damaged the soil or is it just a case of breaking the top crust??, ( or shall I cheat and do raised beds with bought in topsoil???)

amphibian

Re: A Fully Carpeted Plot!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 16:52:07 »
I'd just dig it over and add plenty of organic matter.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 17:57:31 »
I'd give up on the veg, get a three piece suite and a standard lamp and call it an outdoors front room.  :D

Seriously, if the plastic has broken down then it's going to be a bugger to get rid of but the soil should be fine. And after two years a lot of your perennials will be dead. Bit of a job getting shot of the carpet, but it could be worse; one chap on these boards got a plot that had been used as a carpark. Imagine trying to dig over that! Get a load of muck in there and you'll be fine and it won't feel so much like cheating  :)
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 18:12:45 »
Your biggest problem will probably be getting rid of the carpet and the plastic, assuming the latter isn't in re-usable condition. One you've got that far, it should be easy to dig.

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 18:18:29 »
Aeeeek, are you in the alottments near Matalan?

Aeeeek

• Not So New ...
  • Fifi Forget-me-not rocks!!!!........
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 09:44:30 »
Hello Ani..
I was in the ones nr Matalan , but have just changed sites as my OH mate has got one on the Blacon site which makes it handy to do some plot sitting for each other...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal