Author Topic: Focus Complaint.  (Read 8894 times)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Focus Complaint.
« on: February 05, 2006, 13:02:15 »
Spent a bomb at Christmas time buying my eldest daughter her first set of gardening gear (wanted to get her some decent stuff to start with)  A visit to Focus and I bought her some Wilkinson Sword stuff , border spade, fork and a dutch hoe, all stainless steel with a 10 year guarantee.  The first foray out with the spade and the joint where the handle comes onto the back of the spade has split making it totally unusable.   >:(  She lives some way from us but was visiting this weekend so I told her to bring said shovel up and she could return it here. 
She went to Focus this morning only to be told that without the receipt(which no one told me was the guarantee and to keep it) they wouldn't touch it, saying we could have picked it up in a car boot sale  :o 
So .......................Stand by Focus in Bangor North Wales cos IME on the way up tomorrow.   >:( and I'm not a happy bunny !!!!!!!!!!1
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
Re: Focus Complaint.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 13:20:02 »
GO GET 'EM MIMI  >:(

Our local Focus is rubbish. Their plants are always shrivelled up in Summer and I get quite upset about it. Feel like going round there with my watering can some days.
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 13:33:06 »
Mimi, if you do not get any joy write to Wilkinson sword, and explain all i am certain you will get it sorted out, BUT if you are like me and it sounds like it head for the store and give them what for  go girl go.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 13:52:35 »
Extracted from a DTI fact sheet ...

Q7. Do I have to produce a receipt to claim my rights?

No. In fact the trader doesn't have to give you a receipt in the first place so it would be unfair to say that you had to produce one. However, it might not be unreasonable for the shop to want some proof of purchase, so look to see if you have a cheque stub, bank statement, credit card slip etc., and this should be sufficient.

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm

hope this helps ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 14:29:44 »
This sort of thing makes me so annoyed, and is a very bad show for Focus.  I  am glad to hear your are digging your heels in on this one Mimi.  Someone deseves to be horsewhipped (metaphorically speaking). ;D  You might not have a receipt but they can't prove you didn't buy the tools there either.  The reputation of Focus is on the line here as well as Wilkinson Sword.  As Rosebud suggests, Wilkinson Sword could also be approached, although the onus is on Focus to supply a good quality product.  Give em hell!!  :D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 19:00:08 »
Thanks all, and thanks to Curry for the appropriate info.  At least I have a bit more ammo to go get em with tomorrow...........should be a few sparks flying.

MattyJC

• Half Acre
  • South Oxfordshire
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 19:59:50 »
Good luck!

I had a battle with B&Q last year, I do hate bad customer service and being fobbed off, unfortunately it seems to be the norm these days in far to many places.
If you cause a bit of a noise at the till that usually helps...well it did me anyway!
Hope they sort you out with a replacement.

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 20:22:54 »
I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I had a Wilkinson Sword spade given to me at Christmas (I was chuffed  ;D) and was diggin' with it today- no problems. Make sure that you get a replacement or money back. You deserve it. Your a customer and deserve to be treated with respect and courteously. Dan :-)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 21:33:00 »
Thanks guys, I wouldn't have minded if it was a cheapy £7.99 one from Asda(like what I use  ;))  ..... you pays your money etc.   However this one cost over £25.  So for it to break on its inaugural outing is a bit much.    >:(
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 21:34:44 by Mimi »

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 22:12:13 »
I always keep receipts and almost always pay by credit card, no fuss no argument, if it's broke it's replaced even if it is a little out of the guarantee. I will return stuff if it is not in tip top working order. :o

I'm known by friends as the "Returns man" I'm sure some staff at certain stores duck down behind the counter when they see me coming. :o ;D

I even dig up failed plants and return them. :o ::)

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 22:19:44 »
Mimi, reading your thread has made me so annoyed - I hope you get better treatment tomorrow, British service really inscenses me - big stores happily take your money but really don't value the customer, in fact they don't seem to recognise the two are connected in any way ... grrrrrr, I'd cross them off my list ... if I used them  ;)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 22:28:20 »
>:(

Mimi, this sort of thing makes my blood boil!! Unless Wilkinson Sword make shoody goods habitually and there are legions of unhappy customers rushing back with broken stuff, why would you say you bought it there when you didn't?!!

My partner and friends leg it when they hear me say the GMTM thing...

"GET ME THE MANAGER"

It focuses the attention of staff quite effectively, i have found!! Go for it!!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2006, 22:35:58 »
I have a similar guarantee on my fork, and I duly kept the receipt.

Trouble is, it's a typical modern shop receipt, ie printed using heat.

They fade. I can't read mine now.  I know when I got it and where (I don't buy that much from B&Q in Chesterfield) so I can find the credit card bill. But again, how many folk keep credit card bills for > a few months? (Apart from me!)

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2006, 22:50:27 »
I pin all my till receipts/bills to my c/card statements and file them for at least a year, if receipts are faded I write the name of the goods purchased in ink/biro, not our fault if their reciepts are rubbish. 8)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2006, 23:12:14 »
It's really annoying when that happens. You pay more to get a "quality" product. It has to go back and then to add insult to injury the shop makes things difficult. Grrrrr..

MrsRotavator

• Not So New ...
  • feed me... feed me now
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2006, 23:28:07 »
Mimi I know its really frustrating but dont give up

your first years guarantee is with the retailer and the rest with the manufacturer... I cant speak for Focus as i work for another well know
DIY store lol but even without the receipt if the spade was in good condition
it should be obvious and they should at least exchange.

we all ask for the reciept but if the item is clearly faulty they are expected to deal with it as ... go to the top ask for a manager if that doesnt work write to the head office... wilkinsons may do soemthing for you direct but are unlikely to sort the branch out.

last resort trading standards but they will expect you to have some proof of purchase but that can be a bank statement or credit card statement not just a till receipt.

most important stay calm and polite

good luck (oh and if all that doesnt work next time picka better retailer ;) lol)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2006, 23:29:51 »
Good luck Mimi.  My darling Ava brought me a Wilkinson Sword fork a few years back, and he broke it after using it just a couple of times!  We didn't have the guarantee, and it never did go back.  I now use, and abuse, a selection of forks, all over 50 years old, all with a touch of woodworm, and they are all as strong as iron and have never let me down! 

You go get 'em girl!

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 10:07:40 »
Right ...... I'm off this morning armed with my best Mrs Bouquet attitude, my bank statement (showing focus purchase made) my printout of the DTI page  :-* ta Curry.......Watch this space  ;)

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 12:30:48 »
To be honest if you had of picked one up from a car boot sale, it would have probably have been ten times better and would last longer...all my tools are second hand or were my grandads.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 16:23:32 by keef »
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006, 16:20:33 »
RESULT........... Just got in from my day out after first visiting Focus.  I asked to speak to the manager and then put my case forward, I wasn't forceful or rude just articulate and calm..  :-X Honestly.  He was obviously not in the mood and continued to inform me that I could have bought the spade in a car booty or even stolen it and returned it to get money back.  By now I m biting on my tongue but still calm.  In the end I had to resort to showing him my bank statement before he would even check on his computer to see if there was a sale of the spade on the day that I had told him I bought it. As there WAS a sale on said day he agreed to give me a replacement.   ;D Please don't forget to give me a new receipt for this one ;D  So after all that my conclusion is never never again will I cross the threshold of Focus.  What ever passes for customer service is totally insufficient and they have lost a whole family of customers.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal