Author Topic: And on tomatoes..  (Read 2784 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
And on tomatoes..
« on: January 19, 2006, 13:26:37 »
Which bit to break off?
This question will arise...here's the answer.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: And on tomatoes..
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 13:43:31 »
Yes that was a problem for me last year. I'd never grown them before. Luckily one of my helpful fellow lottie-holders showed me what and how. Obvious when you know innit ? ;) What really got me was that after removing the shoots I'd go back a couple of days later and they were back again. Kind of ongoing task.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 15:21:06 »
Lovely clear photo kenkew !

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 19:55:06 »
Bring em on.

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 11:39:56 »
I am going to try to grow Harbinger and San Marzano (Organic) and Marmande Super (organic) Tomatoes in my greenhouse for the first time as well.   I have a small cold greenhouse and will be growing in it for the first time this year.   Also will grow tumbling toms in my hanging basket - they were quite good last year.

Any one tried growing these varieties before and have any useful tips for a newbie?

Also about cutting off the side shoots - must this be done all the way up the plant (as I see higher up there is another shoot??
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 11:51:31 »
Marmande is a good cropper of tasty tom's. Treat them as 'normal'.
You say 'organic' but that depends on your compost. The seed might come from an 'organic' plant but how far back in time does one go to be able to claim organic? It's a term used without a true meaning most of the time. If you're talking growing without chemicals, then good on you, but when you consider what tom's like best to grow in, well, what did the animal supplying the manure eat? Personally, I consider chemical free as organic regardless of where the seed came from.
Regarding the stem 'suckers' which most tommy growers break off; If you want more but smaller tom's, then it's fine to let at least one of those shoots grow on. If you train it sideways and then up another cane, you will in effect, have an extra plant, but don't forget that it's two plants on one stem. If you want less but bigger, the rule is to take them all off, everyone as they appear.

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 11:54:55 »
Thanks for the advice - I definitely want BIG! :) and I do try and not use chemicals and have my french marigolds ready for sowing as companion plants to try and beat the beasties..
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 12:08:28 »
Big, eh? Then take the tops off the plant after 3 (max 4) trusses have formed.

mike_w

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 21:41:59 »
I seem to recall reading that if you plant the suckers then each will root and grow into a new plant but I have never tried it. Can anyone confirm whether this actually works?

thanks.
Quantum ille canis in fenestra est?

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 22:04:34 »
Yes it will work but easier than that is to grow extra plants in the first place.

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 17:13:41 »
Hi Mike W  Leave the "suckers" to grow to 15 > 20cm. snap them off, put them into a water filled jam jar. In a week to ten days you will see white roots emerging from the bottom of the stem. Dibber a hole in the soil, water in and away they go.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 17:53:32 »
I'm with Kenkew. I'd rather sow extra in the first place. Anything that requires me remembering to look after it.... and check it's OK... Might as well forget it :-[
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 19:54:30 by grawrc »

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 19:18:01 »
What are the sweetest & most readily available tomatoes in seed form?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2006, 19:31:40 »
That's a question to which everyone will have a different answer! But if you want a reliable one, grown by everyone at one stage or another, try Gardener's Delight - you can get it anywhere, they are smallish size but not "cherry" and they do taste nice. For a yellow/orange one, I grew Sungold, and they are very sweet and tasty.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2006, 19:59:12 »
I think Shirley get a good name. We cartainly enjoy them. Need to grow in the greenhouse though.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2006, 20:50:57 »
;)

Ken you are sooo clever!! Thanks for that, will know where to look when having a panic later in the year!!

;D

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2006, 17:02:37 »
??? my 1st posting sorry if i get wrong!
i like to grow a selection in my greenhouse can't grow on the lottie as we get blight   trying a new (to me) way, putting the plant in it's small pot
in the bottom of a big pot and building soil up as it grows. seems that the plant grows roots further up the stem that is surrounded by soil  so it takes in more food and water and is more stable  sounds good ? we shall see
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2006, 17:41:23 »
Hi the othermarg, what you describe is similar to a technique called ring culture. In that you encourage two effectively different root systems. One of which you water, one of which you feed. However I am not sure if restricting the main root system in a small pot is a very good idea. You might be better using large pots. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal