Author Topic: scavengers anonymous thread.....  (Read 8185 times)

Larkspur

• Acre
Re: scavengers anonymous thread.....
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2006, 08:27:03 »
Found a nearly new galvanized dustbin on the pavement today. Strange thing is, there have only been bin bags used for refuse round here for at least 30 years. ??? With a few holes in it it will make a good incinerator.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2006, 09:11:02 »
Our best scavenge was a settee for the allotment greenhouse/shed.

The wife had always been moaning about not being able to sit and relax at the allotment when it was raining etc. She had just come back from walking the dogs at night (11:00pm) to say that a house on the next street had put a good condition (but slightly 70's designed) settee out for the bin men to collect.
We ran round whipped it and carried it over the allotment, wheeling it around the streets in the dark.
Unfortunately our allotment suffers from fly tippers and for some reason we met nearly everyone we know taking the settee to the allotment, god knows what they thought!!! And she still wanted to go back for the arm chair ::)

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2006, 09:57:05 »
John H. Cheers for that link. I've signed up. I hate throwing good things away. One mans muck is anothers brass!

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2006, 11:08:43 »
I agree Crash, its better to find a new use for something than send it to landfill eh?

most larger urban areas seem to have freecycle groups going now.
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

Sheona

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2006, 17:46:11 »
well, round the corner from our lottie site a building has just been knocked down so we had our pick of bricks, and they also left behind a blue barrel... it has been re-homed beside our shed.  I went round, picked it up and carried it round myself in broad daylight, does this count as scavenging????

Sheona

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2006, 18:08:38 »
Hi all,

Sheona, Yep it counts. You are now officially a scavenger. In broad daylight too  :o Welcome to the club  :)

Roy,  What you have could be a canvas wardrobe as sold by argos and others. A white metal frame and black corner peices to make a rectangle about 5 to 6 feet tall. Some tubes interlock and some are a smaller diameter ????  (I`ll name that junk in one  :) )  ... Actually I might be wrong as I`m confused by the angles.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

deboydoyd

• Half Acre
  • Bit of digging - it'll be fine
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2006, 18:38:25 »
The pub up the road has just dismantled all the tables/benches in the beer garden, and left them stacked up in a corner. We've passed them for a couple of days, then couldn't resist....
Now have a big pile of good sound wood in our drive, about 8ft lengths.
I did ask if they were getting rid, but if things are in skips & obviously being thrown away, do you ask or just take??
I asked at a house with a skip outside and was looked at very strangely.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2006, 23:57:10 »
Roy,  What you have could be a canvas wardrobe as sold by argos and others. A white metal frame and black corner peices to make a rectangle about 5 to 6 feet tall. Some tubes interlock and some are a smaller diameter ????  (I`ll name that junk in one  :) )  ... Actually I might be wrong as I`m confused by the angles.
Col

Much too big for a wardrobe, more likley a rig that the police set up for crime investigation or similar ???

deboydoyd, I wouldn't worry too much about taking from skips, it's when you add to them that you get into trouble. ;D

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2006, 08:38:51 »
In that case its a fruit cage  :D
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Stork

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2006, 20:55:21 »
This morning I scavenged about 80 feet of 4x2 roof joists from a skip round the corner. They're as good as new.

I'm thinking frameworks for a new 3-bay compost bin and a very solid fruitcage.

Scaveging - I love it.

Stork.
Have no fear of perfection. You will never reach it. (Salvador Dali)

scotch-mist

• Acre
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2006, 23:40:51 »
There is road works going on at the bottom of my road and on my way past I asked a lorry driver where he was taking the lorryload of road kerbs, he said "to the local quarry " so I asked his boss if he would mind doing me a big favour and ended up with 3 lorryloads of much needed hard fill for my yard. 

Told OH this was belated valentines day pressie, Happy days.
UNDER PRESSURE (constantly)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2006, 00:25:13 »
We have been living with a broken wooden bed head on our bed for a while now.  Passed by a skip on Wednesday afternoon with a lovely good quality wooden bed head in it. OH and I carried it home, gave it a bit of a wash and clean,  and on Wednesday evening went to bed with a lovely wooden bed head in place. Result!!   busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

scotch-mist

• Acre
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2006, 00:32:06 »
Nice one ;) busy_lizzie, it makes your day, doesn't it?  :D
UNDER PRESSURE (constantly)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2006, 21:24:58 »
my boss is ripping up his kid's play area at home and today has kindly donated all the play bark for my paths.

thangyouverymuch.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2006, 22:43:00 »
I have to admit I'm not the main scavenger. I'm letting the side down and I used to be so good at it  :(  :D My OH is a white van driver and is always on the look out for stuff.

roll of chicken wire.
roll of plastic netting
roll of thick green plastic fencing stuff
fencing.
wooden door
garden bench
picnic bench
little tikes plastic house...very handy for keeping 2 year old occupied at lotty
loads of bags of sawdust
 huge metal drinker for hens
stackable hinged wooden frame thingies that OH is going to make into coldframes
another roll of wire ...I got that!
hose pipe
flag stones

Not too bad a start when I think about it.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2006, 22:47:50 »
My OH isn't quite into this yet.    I'd been after wooden pallets for ages and eventually found a never ending supply, but today when I met him from his work - what do i find sitting outside the front door of his office ??  A building site with a mountain of the things.

I've got to teach him to keep his eyes open and start asking cheeky questions.  The rear seats of my car are permanently in the down position at the moment with a huge tubby sack (which the hard core came in) in the back just incase.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2006, 22:57:23 »
Oooh I've just been told that the large box of 4 inch galavanised nails and a large box of two inch galvanised clouts can be added to the list.

Big sheet of prison mesh.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 23:02:08 by Heldi »

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2006, 23:15:15 »
I hope he's not leaving a big hole in the wall lmao

Growbe

• Not So New ...
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2006, 02:26:30 »
Okay I scavenged a load of CD 100 pack plastic covers from our IT dept. A few drilled holes in the top and I will have the perfect cloche protection for my young plants.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2006, 17:25:24 »
Okay I scavenged a load of CD 100 pack plastic covers from our IT dept. A few drilled holes in the top and I will have the perfect cloche protection for my young plants.

doh! I work in IT and never thought of that, been throwing them away for ages.

Save spare CD's for bird scarers (on strings) or I use for large labels (requires cd marker pen)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal