Author Topic: Growing Lupins from seed  (Read 19713 times)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: Growing Lupins from seed
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2006, 09:46:55 »
Thanks CL.    Will plant them  in pots, according to the box they should be planted 18" deep. So hopefully all will be ok. Lorna

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2006, 21:53:58 »
Sure they will Lorna,

A grown lupin will have a HUGE root....

You've got it covered,

Best,

CLx

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2006, 18:33:14 »
Hi Lorna

Planted my seeds last saturday, after reading your posting and was every so surprised when yesterday I looked and saw some big seedlings popping out already.  They are big - and almost look like succulent leaves !
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2006, 21:51:56 »
Hi jitterbug. The lupins that Lorna(jnr) bought me are in "dormant" plant  form. Unfortunately I have had the flipping flu bug that is going around so haven't planted yet, I looked at them today and I can see little green shoots on them so I must get them planted this week. I am going to put them in pots so that I can move them around the garden or put out front of bungalow. Will let you know how I get on...Lorna

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2006, 01:57:55 »
Hi Lorna,

Re the Mirabilis Jalapa (Star of Peru/ Four O'Clock Plant), I've been growing this for years now. It's a tough creature all right, and will happily grow in just about any situation. The scented flowers open in late afternoon and close the following morning as the day warms up.

Here's a link you might find helpful:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A774704

Each flower contains one seed, about the size of a sweet pea seed, but watch out - unless you catch 'em before they drop, they'll self seed everywhere!
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2006, 13:05:56 »
Amazin Thanks for the link, found the info interesting. Will be nice to have scented plants in the garden. Can just see myself sitting under the gazebo in the evening enjoying the scent from the flower and perhaps with a glass in my hand!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal