Author Topic: Veg Decisions!!  (Read 2078 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Veg Decisions!!
« on: February 23, 2006, 18:45:17 »
???

This is my first proper season. I have all the basics and can't wait!!
I don't have a greenhouse, but have lots of space on the lottie.
Question is: Once I have done all the spuds, onions, garlic, brassicas etc what kind of "extras" would you knowledgable people have?

Guess Aubergines are out with no greenhouse and being in Oldham!!
Fancy something interesting and fun to grow. This is a "how long is a piece of string" question, but would love some ideas please?

P.S. I love to cook...so no flowers please!!!

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
Re: Veg Decisions!!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 19:02:18 »
How about squashes/pumpkins? I think they're fun to grow....bit unpredictable results-wise, lots of different sorts - and they need space.
My other suggestion would be florence fennel - my first time last year - it is so delicious straight from the plot.
Enjoy!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 19:31:36 »
Hi katy, this thread will get a lot of peeps going  ;D
What veg do you LOVE? Grow your favourite veg, and enjoy them fresh ...
What veg taste completely different to bought when eaten fresh or tiny? Courgettes (with flowers on lol), sweetcorn, fresh peas, young green beans, broadies grown as mangetout, baby carrots/beets, salad or oriental greens over the winter ...
Got any kids to enthuse? With periwinkle on this one, they can carve their initials on a pumpkin/squash and watch MINE grow, scoff peas and beans raw, have their own bed, pond or whatever
No time? Grow green manures!  ;D
And finally, what do you want to enjoy over winter? People have posted amazing lists of things they are eating fresh and stored (see 'Hungry Gap' thread), and there's plenty of time to plan your winter crops, most won't need planting til after you've dug up your maincrops, from July/August, so you'll have plenty of room.
Could get carried away with this question, so will stop  :-X
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 19:35:37 by supersprout »

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 20:23:50 »
YES YES agree wholeheartedly with others.

Also, what do you like to eat which is expensive to buy in the

supermarkets ( e.g. celeriac )

Don't go mad buying seeds or plants as you will discover the

kindness and generosity of others who will give seeds and

surplus plants.

Although you don't have a greenhouse, consider cloches which

are quite cheap ( Wilko Aldi Lidl Poundland are good to shop at )

Rhubarb crowns - bound to be given away by lottie neighbours

As you say...'this is a how long is a piece of string question  ;D

Debs

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 22:36:39 »
Courgettes were very successful on my plot last year, and they were  quite fun, especially trying to get rid of them to friends and family ::)
Runner beans and french beans were also successful (and look pretty) and I will be growing more of them this year. I think the trick is not to put them out too soon where we live in the frozen north - they all went out last year towards the middle of June.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 23:06:29 »
Grow whatever you fancy. I always grow climbing French beans - we're not so keen on runners, and winter squashes. Courgettes don't go down so well with my family. Loads of rhubarb, sweet corn, I want r=to try to get the strawberries sorted out this year so hopefully we actually get some. Last year I tried outdoor tomatoes; they worked well till they got blight. This year I'll be growing 8 or 9 varieties, and standing by with a chutney recipe just in case.

loulou

• Acre
  • what have i let myself in for
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 23:14:37 »
tomato's for me i found a grate recipe for tomato ans pasta soup kids and hubby went back for seconds grate  ;D ill post the recipe in the right place tomorrow for any one who would like to try its thick creamy and freezes well the only problem is pealing the skin off and passing it through the sieve very time consuming but very worth it my kids also like peas fresh from the pod (no cooking ) sweetcorn and far to many other veg best thing of all is they eat every veg i grow because my 4 year old said they taste a lot better than the ones i got from the shop and she knows we cared for them so they would grow and make her strong bless her she is very right though they do taste a lot better than shop bought veg

digswell

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 15:43:16 »
Time to experiment!

After the basics you already have, then try something exotic, don't give it to much space and if it doesn't work not a lot has been lost!

If you like oriental food try growing Mustard and Cress for the leaves, you could also try Corriander if you have a sheltered spot.

You can create a wind break with Jerusalem Artichokes as they grwo quite densly and tall (will need support on a windy plot) they are great for roasting and using in soups in the winter, and have a nice yellow flower in the summer.

If you like Brassica's how about Khol Rabi? rarely seen in the supermarkts and cost's the earth!

You could always nip down to Wilkinsons and buy one of their plastic greenhouses for £30, then Aubergines, and exotci tomatoes would be a possibility.

In general though try anything that you like and that is expensive in the shops, it helps make a plot very cost effective.... :)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 15:52:09 »
;D

Excellent ideas folks!! Thanks lots, some things to think about there. Off to Lidl, Aldi, Wilkos to check greenhouse prices this week!!!

;D

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 16:17:00 »
Some great ideas here as I'm in the same boat at Katy.

I've got seeds for runner beans, courgettes, butternut squash, tomatoes, aubergines, sweetcorn, carrots (2 sorts), radish, lettuce, salad leaves, pepper and sprouting broc. as well as the basic onions, garlic and early potatoes.  Oh and some marigolds, nasturtiums and sunflowers.

All the stuff we like to eat basically - I think that's probably enough for the first year!!

Oh just remembered the fruit bushes I've just been given and some asparagus plants on order.....   :-\
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006, 16:58:10 »
Hi Katy, Hi all  :D

I agree with everything above but would also add lots of fruit. For fresh, for freezing and for jam, I eat lots more fruit now I have the allotment. Bushes and trees are cheap at this time of year from bargain shops and they don`t require much work for good results and someone will have strawberry plants to give away.

As people have said, squash are lots of fun and produce a lot of food for little work.

I try to cover food groups such as roots, greens, peas and beans, winter veg or salad. After these, my curiosities this year will be tomatillos, cape gooseberry and florence fennel. And my herb trough will require lots of attention if its going to succeed. I have failed once with mushrooms, if I`m feeling brave I`ll give those another try.

I also grow flowers for cutting to take home, I wouldn`t buy them very often but now I enjoy having them from spring to late summer.

Best of luck, Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal