Author Topic: Sowing Broad beans  (Read 3489 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Sowing Broad beans
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2006, 20:01:38 »
Thanks Red Clanger. I'll try  a few of them like that and see what gives. I'll try to remember to report back on success or otherwise.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2006, 20:26:18 »
I think the birds took mine last year, as fleecing stopped it -I'm not sure it bothers mice.

Jeremy

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2006, 23:35:33 »
Oh dear - after reading some of the latter messages - wondering if there's any point in sowing them straight into ground, cos of the meeces - mind you, don't know if they're a problem up at my lottie plot but imagine they would be......

now R.C.....you mentioned 'merely chitting them'.....how would you go about that I wonder??....just lay them out on a tray or something - do you need to lay them on something damp like kitchem paper maybe or would they just 'sprout/shoot' without that like the potatoes do?......can see what you mean about being brave....suppose they could just 'dry/shrivell up'  :'(

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2006, 23:41:23 »
Sorry meant to type sprouting (getting my potatoes tomorrow).  I think; soak them then put them somewhere to sprout - not too warm apparently for broadies. Once they have sprouted, sow as normal.  I do not know whether it works and my neighbour had all his shoots taken off at ground level.  It won't prevent that.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2006, 15:39:52 »
It's like sprouting any kind of bean - you can get your fill of sprouting bean tips at http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,28/topic,15759.0
The only difference is you plant your beans when you see the sprouts first show, the eating ones you'd sprout for a few more days.
he he Hot_Potato, did you find the compost in your loo rolls sank as soon as you watered them  ;)

Rowan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2006, 18:02:52 »
The mice must have had all of mine last year, as I put them in during November and not one (not one!) came up. I sowed three in pots in the greenhouse and these are doing nicely. I had planned to put them straight in the ground at the end of the month but now I might start them off inside, too.

Does anyone start early peas in lengths of guttering in the greenhouse and how does this work? I find the mice and pigeons are very fond of pea seeds, too.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2006, 18:18:31 »
All my beans went under their own milk bottle cloche!  That sorted out the meeces!!    ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2006, 20:14:13 »
Another excellent suggestion Thanks. Cut of coke bottles will do I suppose.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2006, 00:18:24 »
Just so long as they are big enough to allow for growth   :)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2006, 01:33:24 »
I think they probably are maybe ??? last time I looked.

Rowan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2006, 17:34:15 »
Thanks, Flowerlady, I'll give it a go. We've got tons of plastic drinks bottles because my husband likes fizzies. I tend to save them to cloche anything that looks sad in early  Spring and to go over the runner beans when I plant them otherwise the snails have them all. I never thought of using them for broad beans but I haven't had this problem before. (The mice in November must have been extra hungry, I suppose).  :(

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2006, 20:16:31 »
My Autumn/winter sown ones in the allotment are sticking their heads up now -and so far they've bben left alone. I did stick a bit of fleece over some of them just in case, but the others are surviving too.

J.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal