Produce > Edible Plants

GRowing Garlic

(1/4) > >>

boxingtortoise:
Do i need to fertilise before i plant garlic? I'm planning to plant mid-Oct, is that right?

allotment_chick:
Hi bt
I wouldn't add manure.  I do sprinkle with pelleted chicken manure if the ground hasn't been manured the previous autumn.  Garlic like well cultivated, well drained soil in a sunny spot.  I get the best results (even with some winter losses) when I plant in October (although any time before Christmas will do, Monty Don says, when the soil conditions are appropriate).

Garlic produces bigger bulbs, I'm told, if they have a couple on months of low temperatures and my results do seem to bear this out!

tim:
may I exercise my newly gained right to post at the hour of my choice by suggesting an answer?

If you want the 'horse's mouth', look up the Garlic Farm in the IOW. They have the history, full instructions and you can buy from them so that the grower gets the profit - rather than seed firms.

In case you're too busy, 3oz general fert before planting in well dug ground. And, strangely, they advocate February - whereas I've come around more and more to October. No matter, we've got the dreaded white rot all over now so my planting days are numbered.  - Tim

tim:
oops, sorry! Carried away by this new found freedom.  3oz/sq.yd of course. - Tim

Suze_O:
When you regain what you have lost then you realise the true meaning of freedom.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version