Author Topic: Euphorbia Trigona - Rooting  (Read 1810 times)

DuckFan

Euphorbia Trigona - Rooting
« on: February 08, 2006, 15:03:13 »
Hello,

I have a large Euphorbia Trigona (succulent, cactusy thing) when I take cuttings off it to root they seem to take about a month to root in a jar of water. Does anyone know if it will root more quickly if I shield the jar from the light (wrap it in black paper perhaps)., or is it better to leave it clear.

Cheers

Dan 2

• Acre
Re: Euphorbia Trigona - Rooting
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 15:59:29 »
I would personally give it light to photosynthesise, on the other hand you don't want all its energy going into growing and no roots.

A great plant! I think every garden shoud have a euphorbia or three! (I f you have space!)

Dan :-)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 18:37:11 »
I'd give it light, but at the same time I'd be very hesitant about putting succulent cuttings into water! You seem to be getting away with it with this one, but many of them would just rot.

DuckFan

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 22:15:28 »
Hello,

I intended only to shield the bottom of the plant in the water where the roots are needed, not the whole cutting, not sure if that was clear from my original question.

Thanks for the opinions, looks like all in favour of no cover so far. I guess it has worked this far. Maybe I should experiment with 2 cuttings and report back?

Cheers

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 18:07:42 »
For anyone else who hasn't a clue what this particular euphorbia lookes like:
www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Euphorbiaceae/Euphorbia_trigona.html

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal