Author Topic: propagators and after germination care.  (Read 2414 times)

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
propagators and after germination care.
« on: January 27, 2006, 23:03:46 »
Does anyone know  that if I use a propagator to germinate seeds eg aubergine,chillis toms etc and then remove the seedlings from the propagator if there will be any ill effects if I let the temperature drop to low. (tho not below freezing)

I have a number of seeds I want to start next month in an electric propagator but no means of keeping them warm other than cold greenhouse/windowsills.

any advice
Ian

Larkspur

• Acre
Re: propagators and after germination care.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 08:14:20 »
Hi, whatever you do  do not take tender seedlings out of a propagator and put them into a cold greenhouse next month. They will not survive. :o They should be OK on a window sill inside the house though they may suffer a bit of a check for a few days when you first transfer them from the propagator.
I have been raising seedlings like that for many years and have never really had any problems so you should be alright. Try fixing a bit of foil behind them to reflect the light back onto them when they are on the window sill it will help prevent them getting to etioled (drawn out ). Cheers ;)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 11:39:47 »
Over-conservative comment, glowy? Question - when do you plant them out in the cold 'house? Buxton? Not exactly the south of France?

Others may be different, but we have only twice, ever, sown in February. Otherwise, mid-March. And even then, we get frosts into June, at least. And there really is not enough light early on to keep them sturdy? (No argument, Larkspur!)

Unhelpful??
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 03:21:10 by tim »

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 12:26:58 »
Boring old comment, glowy?  .................................. Boring??

????????? :-[ :-[ :-[

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 12:39:23 »
glowy - I've tried to delete my boring advice but without success. There is no longer a 'delete' button. Why?

Please ignore it. And anything in future!

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 20:30:35 »
hmmm, so hardening off is necessary eh? I just germinated some broad beans in an unheated propgator in the house and planted them out today (with plastic bottle cloches to, er, keep them warm). After that it was so cold on the lottie we came home. I'm not convinced they'll survive. :-\
I will finish it, one day

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 21:09:45 »
You never know your luck fat larry, broad beans aren't chillis or toms. ;)

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 21:16:40 »
The main reason I'm asking (and why I find the boring bit so strange!) is I have a packet of aubergines that state a Feb germination date, and after that I was confused as to what to do due to lack of warmed areas and not wanting to keep them in the propagator.

genuine question

Ian

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 03:31:32 »
Let's try again. I've replaced the boring bit, but I'm still not over-enthusiastic about a February sowing indoors.
I know that some folk get away with it on windowsills, despite getting very leggy plants but, even with a heated bench in a lean-to to put them on after germination, I still struggle to get stocky plants from a March sowing in a propagator.

So - unless you can keep them on a low heat in the propagator, I still favour delaying sowing until mid-March. I go even later than that. Does that help??

PS If you had a grow-light to extend the day, that would help.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 03:33:23 by tim »

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 08:49:39 »
Hi glow, I agree with Tim. I have written somewhere in a diary many years ago "March is early enough for anything". I was refering to the fact that growing under the conditions you describe I could not produce strong tender seedlings by starting them in February and in any case the same seeds sown in March with more light ind by April improving temperatures would soon catch them up. Try it yourself. Sow some in February and some in March and see what happens.  ;)

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 09:01:27 »
Hi Larkspur
That sounds like good advice that I will follow. One years testing a lifetimes use

Cheers Ian

And if they all die I'll buy some seedlings in May from he garden centre like last year!

hemajo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006, 10:51:15 »
I am wanting to try some tender plants this year - peppers, toms, sweetcorn etc.  I don't even have a real propagator - just seed trays with vented lids.  I have a west facing heated porch with a fair bit of window-sill space (so it is nice and bright).  Will this do, or should I be considering investing in a heated propagator?
Helen

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2006, 19:27:37 »
Hi Glow,

tim is absolutely right, however because our season is quite short in the high peak, if you don't sow peppers and aubs early enuf they just don't fruit before the frost in autumn (I'm presuming that you are planting these babies outside come summer!)
I sow in february and keep them on the windowsill.  however they do get leggy and are difficult to nurture till mid-june/july when the frost risk is over.  what i do is half fill a plastic cup/pot with compost and sow the seed.  when the seedling gets to the top of the pot, I then fill it with compost, encouraging further rooting down the stem and creating shorter sturdier plants.  It doesn't always work but is particularly successful with pumpkins and courgettes, tho you would sow those much later on in the year of course.  Another tip is to sow double the amount you actually need in case of eventualities.  If after a couple of years trying these methods unsuccessfully then I would simply buy starter plants from nurseries or carelogues.  Hope this helps.
It'll be better next year

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2006, 21:15:19 »
hemajo - I'll leave that to the windowsillers - nothing is impossible!

fb - I know the thing about heat & long season but, since aubs sown in February are ready to go out late April, why rush??
And glow has a cold 'house?  I have sown as late as mid-April for the cold 'house. And our otdoor ones - with protection - at 650' up - still cropped well.

And we get - typically - 10 to 30 fruit per plant.

umshamrock

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 12:44:14 »
My tomatos last year were sown in an unheated greenhouse in Feb and did great. However, I live in Plymouth, and it is really mild here....
"How inappropriate to call this planet Earth,
             when clearly it is Ocean"
                             - Arthur C. Clarke

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2006, 13:16:02 »
The favoured few!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal