Author Topic: Lining a Pond  (Read 11412 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Lining a Pond
« on: January 29, 2006, 17:40:45 »
.. or rather underlining one.  I have just about got to the stage of lining my new pond and was wondering what to use to protect the liner from puncturing from below, since my soil is stony and full of flints. The recomended is sand i know, but I am not sure what type of sand or  whether it will be enough. Budget constraints prohibit buying a proprietary underlay, so whats the alternative? I am not keen on old carpet even if i had any to use.

Please advise.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re: Lining a Pond
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 18:27:55 »
When I dug my pond out, I had a similar problem but just lined the area with about 3'' of builders sand.  I suppose that it depends on how big your pond is, what you use.  If its like the one at Berryfield's   :o  then you puddle it with clay.  For the more usual garden pond I would thinkbuilders sand more than sufficient.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 20:46:05 »
You can use layers of newspapers too Richard
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 14:22:24 »
You can use layers of newspapers too Richard

Wont they rot pretty quickly Doris?

I was thinking of sand then old compost/gravel bags then the liner. Any good?

Thanks

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 14:54:20 »
Think that it may be better the other way around.  Bags then sand.  Then you have a perfectly smooth surface for the liner to rest against.  A good tip when you put the liner in is to stretch the lining over the top of the pond and secure with some bricks or weights.  Then put the hosepipe in the centre and let the water in.  The weight of the water will smooth out the wrinkles and you will get a much better finish.  Wish I had had that piece of usefull info before I did mine.  ::)
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 22:45:48 »
I would go for sand. Builder's sand is fine.

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 18:41:05 »
Yep what ever you put under there sand has to be the last layer before the liner. It must not be a sharp sand though. Builders sand is what most people use. :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 20:08:14 »
Our wildlife pond is on top of vertical sheets of sandstone covered with builder's sand and abutyl liner. it's been there for 12 years.

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 18:56:49 »
I made my first wildlife pond about 2 years ago and used an old foam karamat on the bottom of the hole (where there was going to be the most pressure and lots of sheets of cardboard around the sides. It was only a cheap first attempt and the plastic liner is only guaranteed for 5 years.

I didn't want to shell out too much for materials on the first one either, so I guess its cost about 12 quid (I scrounged all the plants of other people)
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006, 22:42:20 »
Our butyl liner cost about £12 and came with a 30 year guarantee. It is still as good as new. (pond is approx 9feet by 6 feet by 3 feet deep at its deepest point)

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 11:14:21 »
I think next time I would choose a butyl liner and do a proper job of lining it with sand. This was a bit of a rush job thought, because someone came round with a bucket full of frogspawn I asked for six months earlier (and promptly forgot). I left the bucket out in the back garden and the next thing I knew there were all these little faces looking up at me and asking where their pond was!
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

slippy fly

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 23:00:50 »
I have built several ponds over the years and a good cheap liner to use is old carpet.Its easily cut to size and shape and lasts a very long time.You can probaly get some from a local tip or maybe a carpet fitter.I have driven my other half mad by keeping an old carpet but when i relined my pond it was perfect. :P
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool,
he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me
then come out fighting on the other side."
Bill Shankly

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2006, 23:20:04 »
I am confused.
Having dug out the shape of pond I want, and made it 2ft 6in deep at the middle, I came on A4A after looking on the NET, and now I need your massed advice...
From what I have gleaned, to stop rubble and stones from the sides and bottom going through the liner, I should put down at least builders sand before the liner.. but how do I keep it on the vertical ish side(ok on the sloping side..) without it falling away?
It seems ok to put old plastic compost bags and carpet under the sand for additional protection.. isn't it?
When filling with water, Bradshaws say never to put water in to get the liner to fit.. why not?
And I throw earth in after sieving it before or after putting in the water.
I am a pond virgin.
Be gentle.
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

slippy fly

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 23:58:19 »
To get the sand on the sides you can use damp sand.I would use sand on the bottom and carpet on the sides if it makes it easier.I have used old carpet many times but I have never used it under the sand,its not needed.
Also whenever ive used a butyl or pvc liner i drape the liner over the hole with a slight dip in the middle I then use bricks to hold it lightly inplace then start adding the water.The weight of the water will take the liner down to the shape of your pond.The trick is to not use too many bricks as you don't want to stretch the liner.You will have to keep moving the bricks as the liner moulds itself to your shape.
I dont think it matters when you add the soil as either way its going to take a while to settle.
These are my experiences but you may find books etc tell you differently.
Good Luck!!
Bill Shankly

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 00:03:16 »
Sounds verymuch like what I have done.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 18:50:36 »
I think when the water started moulding the liner is where my problems started. I couldnt get the creases straightened out enough and ended up with creases that provide escape routed sfor the water. See my thread on 'leaky pond' as i dont want to repeat myself here.

delboy: I used sand to line my pond but like you i have one side too steep for sand to stick. I used some thick polythene in multiple layers under theliner instead, since i didnt have any carpet suitable.

slippy fly

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 21:22:38 »
surely if the edge was level it wouldnt leak even if you did have creases  ???
Bill Shankly

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 09:54:44 »
surely if the edge was level it wouldnt leak even if you did have creases  ???

Well there are and it is! Sorry I know you mean well but i'm certian the edge is level (or as level as i can make it), and i saw somewhere that if large creases are folded in a particular way they can create a channel for the water to escape through. This i plan to do something about either by blocking off the 'channels' some way or by creating a 'lip' around the edge to try and keep the water on the right side of the liner!

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2006, 23:06:37 »
I once watched some contractors put a pond in at a holiday resort we were at.

First stage, dig a ruddy great hole with JCB.

Second stage, spray the ground with a machine that mixes polyurathane foam, whilst wearing a full body suit, and breathing lines.

Third stage, another spray that delivers glass fibre chopped strand and polyester resin in one go, with added dark olive green colour.

Leave to cure for a week, and fill with water.

It looked very natural, and was very quick!

Brian

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 09:58:58 »
I once watched some contractors put a pond in at a holiday resort we were at.
First stage, dig a ruddy great hole with JCB.
Second stage, spray the ground with a machine that mixes polyurathane foam, whilst wearing a full body suit, and breathing lines.
Third stage, another spray that delivers glass fibre chopped strand and polyester resin in one go, with added dark olive green colour.
Leave to cure for a week, and fill with water.
It looked very natural, and was very quick!
Brian

I dread to think of the cost of doing it that way, though I suppose these companies can afford it. Bit beyond the reach of most gardeners pockets i should think though.

I personaly am starting to wish i had gone down the preformed liner route with my pond. might have been a bit more straightforward given the size of the pond i had room for.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 10:01:22 by Garden Cadet »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal