Author Topic: Natural Greenhouse disinfectant?  (Read 2418 times)

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
Natural Greenhouse disinfectant?
« on: February 17, 2006, 13:55:44 »
Has anyone got a natural recipe for me to concoct for a natural form of greenhouse disinfectant which I can use to wash the glass and staging and walking area - I would like to get my greenhouse cleaned out this week-end and am loathe to go and buy the shop bought stuff.

If not, can anyone recommend a good one that will not damage the soil in my greenhouse.  I also need to get a sulphur candle - any recommendations? ;D

Thanks in advance
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: Natural Greenhouse disinfectant?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 23:30:51 »
I use Jeyes Fluid to wash down, windows staging flooring  and it will kill any bugs in the soil.

But to wash down the glass you could use half a cup of vinigar in a bucket of warm water.

Get old newspapers one wet with solution in bucket and wash windows then get a fresh sheet, crunch up and dry, brings glass up sparkling.

Benches just a scrubbing brush and scrub same floor. Just leave open to dry out.

sulphur candle sorry cannot help as I use Jeyes.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 11:13:40 »
We use Jeyes, Citrox & Sulphur - as appropriate.

tibouchina

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 11:34:11 »
Hi Jitterbug

I also use Jeyes fluid, wash everything down with old handbrush and bucket of Jeyes - floor and staging, also use it to wash out my pots, which I did yesterday!  The vinegar method to clean the glass sounds good, must try that!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 22:29:19 »
I also use Jeyes Fluid but I use a small sprayer and find the disinfectant then gets in to the nooks and crannies.
Teresa I remember when we were first married and lived with in-laws Ma-in-law was a great believer in vinegar. In those days the furniture was polished with the solid stuff (not spray) and every few weeks Ma-in-law would wash all the furniture with vinegar to remove old wax then start again.
Another from Ma-in-law... windows cleaned with newspaper... I still do that to this day.

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 09:20:10 »
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions

Will definitely be using them - missed the opportunity this week-end as it was raining so ended up pricking out my chilli plants and sowing broad beans on top of the kitche surfaces - with newspaper layed down - of course.  DH went off shaking his head sadly.... ;D
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal