Author Topic: Internet shopping  (Read 4878 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Internet shopping
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2006, 22:00:53 »
I think Waitrose is the best - most reliable but we don't get it in Scotland. I'm sure it will come everywhere eventually. unless you're on Muck or Eigg or somewhere equally ickle.

Badger1

• Not So New ...
    • Badgers
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2006, 22:09:43 »
What about delivery charges and the like (can't be bothered to visit their sites right now :-[)?
Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2006, 09:11:43 »
Badger Tesco's charge between (off the top of me head here) £3.99-£5.99, depending on which day you pick.
To me it is worth the money in time and fuel costs, we only have a Waitrose in our town, and though I think their produce is wonderful, we find it a lot more expensive.
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2006, 21:02:19 »
I think it's Sainsbury's who have free deliveries on Tuesdays and Wednesdays maybe? :-\

Margi

• Quarter Acre
  • Yeah, sure!
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2006, 21:31:56 »
According to Sainsbury's customer service centre just now, it's Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday if you spend over £70 - I won't be taking advantage of their kind offer!

Margi x

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2006, 21:34:00 »
Sounds about right. We do because we buy bulk so usually over £100. (It's amazing what 6 people get through in a couple of months :o)

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2006, 21:34:18 »
Sainsburys are good for their 'free' days, but I think Tesco far outdo them by being able to tell them what substitute you would like or putting a note for the picker, we very rarely have something not right with them.  I was chatting to our delivery lady last week and she was explaining how they work out their deliveries to save petrol, so it is helping with greenhouse gases etc.

I find it brilliant when dieting as I am not tempted by seeing things and buying them - helps the purse too.  And their offers are always easily accessible to view.

I suffer from vertigo so they are a godsend when I am poorly too.  And the delivery in chrsitmas week was wonderful too.  Once you have your favourites list you can just run down it quite quickly ordering your regular stuff.  I think Tesco comes out on top in that too as it is one long list and not separate pages.

Sorry, I could go on.....  but most of you are converted anyway...

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2006, 09:42:26 »
Our thoughts? A great help, & we do the occasional bulk shop that way. But it can take as long to e-shop as to go the 4 miles to Tesco.

To be fair, it is not possible for pickers to select the fresh produce that you would choose. You've seen the speed at which they have to work?

Local suppliers? Always, for free-range & organic meat, but there are no corner shops left for fresh fruit & veg. The damage has long been done. Even the newsagents will go soon. And then what about home delivery, as we have??

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2006, 10:24:50 »
Our thoughts? A great help, & we do the occasional bulk shop that way. But it can take as long to e-shop as to go the 4 miles to Tesco.

To be fair, it is not possible for pickers to select the fresh produce that you would choose. You've seen the speed at which they have to work?

Local suppliers? Always, for free-range & organic meat, but there are no corner shops left for fresh fruit & veg. The damage has long been done. Even the newsagents will go soon. And then what about home delivery, as we have??

I think if I had a Tesco 4 miles away I probably wouldn't bother to order online, the exception perhaps being Christmas time, but for people like myself who live out in the sticks, it is a real bonus.

As I said earlier, if produce is not up to scratch, Tesco refund over the phone, but there are not many times when I have to do that, in fact not at all over the past 6 months.  I think they have taken these complaints on board and their service is very much improved compared to when it first started.

I still use our village Farm Shop occasionally which also sells meat.  However, they are very expensive.  There are local shops in Wilton and Amesbury, both about 6 miles away, but to be honest, their produce is often not as fresh as Tesco's, probably because they do not have the same turnover. 

My nearest Newsagent is a garage 2 miles away but there is someone who delivers papers to our village even though he doesn't run a shop. 

Times have changed regarding our shopping habits but it is my belief that it is for the better.

Badger1

• Not So New ...
    • Badgers
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2006, 10:53:45 »
Would you say the service varies from one retailer to another?
Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2006, 10:59:19 »
I have only used Tesco.  I am saving their vouchers so we can have a free trip to France with our caravan on the Chunnel next year  ;D ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2006, 18:53:05 »
Pauline - 'better'? -  for whom?

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2006, 19:59:01 »
Pauline - 'better'? -  for whom?

For most people Tim.  The more competition we have the cheaper the prices and a greater choice of goods!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2006, 17:10:49 »
I'm old enough to remember being sent out to the local shops with a 10 shilling note and coming home with a full shopping bag.

You learnt loads about weights and measures, counting money, getting on with people to get good service etc etc.  You soon learnt that in some shops you had to watch like an eagle to make sure they didn't give you under weight or a rotten apple in with the good. You got to see huge barrels of butter and waited while your bacon was sliced off the whole ham......

Now it's all just stacked up in rows in neat plastic non-biodegradable parcels and the checkout does all the calculations.

flowerofshona

• Half Acre
  • Life is a lottie
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2006, 18:01:48 »
Its been a god send to me, as i couldn't drive for 8 weeks and hubby works full time it took a lot of the stress out of it for us :)
Now i can drive i only use it on the odd occasion but i do use a local butcher and most of my veggies come from the allotment, thats what its there for after all :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal