Author Topic: At last, Goldfinches!  (Read 14333 times)

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
Re: At last, Goldfinches!
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2006, 19:32:53 »
Have to send you one of my greenfinches, Lorna - I have quite a few

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2006, 20:55:34 »
Rosa. Thank you!! I wonder if I cut him/her out and put the cut out on my niger feed it might encourage others?? ;D Is that the weather where you are????

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2006, 09:15:23 »
I have goldfinches the way that some gardens have sparrows, lots & lots, back & front gardens. They totally ignore me when I walk past their nijer feeders (they also use the ordinary seed feeders) BUT- they often disappear for weeks at a time, only to re-appear just as suddenly!
At the moment I have about six. I did read that nijer seed lost its attraction after a couple of weeks outside, and that even the stuff stored inside in sacks lost its potency after a while. I get through about three pints a week in summer.
Incidentally, don't be tempted to buy the latest big feeder for nijer seed from CJ Wildbirdfood. It is a design disaster. Instead of the small holes for the seed, this one has slightly modified standard seedfeeder ports. They are so big that everything - including rooks & pigeons are able to take the seed, and the waste through spillage in the wind is terrible.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2006, 13:47:36 »
Thanks for the info. Sven.  on the nijer feeder.  Mine is a bit worse for wear now so I am thinking of buying another at the next Table Seed order.

I have a 'sick' goldfinch today.   It is all puffed up and looks ill.  Now and then I get a greenfinch like this and death is inevitable.  Shame.  We have got to be so careful now handling 'sick' or  'dead' wildbirds now.  The finches are prone to salmonella so maybe this is what is wrong with the goldfinch. 

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2006, 15:05:03 »
.....I did read that nijer seed lost its attraction after a couple of weeks outside,

I have one very large niger feeder and one of medium size and have to fill them every other day so there is no way it would stay out for a couple of weeks!   ;D    I have run out of seed now and there are about 2 inches remaining in the feeders so there is an all out battle to get to the seeds that are left.  It always amazes me that goldfinches go around in groups (or charms) yet they fight with each other all the time.

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2006, 10:56:38 »
Funnily enough, I had CJ Wildbirdfood catalogue through the post this morning - and there is no mention of the Conqueror-based nijer feeder. Perhaps they have now seen sense.

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2006, 23:26:21 »
Rosa. Thank you!! I wonder if I cut him/her out and put the cut out on my niger feed it might encourage others?? ;D Is that the weather where you are????

Fortunately not, Lorna - the picture was taken a couple of weeks ago. More of a freezing fog today  ;D (need a shivering icon!)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2006, 18:38:08 »
Hi Rosa. Had to look up which day you posted "freezing fog". On Thursday when my company was here I felt a bit achy. At 10pm I felt like nothing on earth, went to bed and didn't get up until Sunday (other than visits to bathroom).I didn't realise how many joints there are to ache. Have now got some catching up on A4A .
Was glad to be able to watch the birds today.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2006, 19:24:30 »
Sorry you are poorly Lorna.

Have you got any finches yet?  If not then perhaps the niger feeder is too near your house.  I had to put mine further away to begin with and then brought them nearer once they had found it.  Goldfinches in particular can be very timid.  I think my lot live on their nerves for I have only to walk within 4 feet of the patio door to sit in my chair and they all fly off.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2006, 20:02:03 »
Hi Pauline. No luck yet, still getting plenty of sparrows also seen the blackbirds. Funnily enough the starlings  were not around today. I counted 20 sparrows at one time. The feeders are about 18ft away from the bungalow. I could move them back a bit further, I will try that tomorrow.
Best wishes Lorna.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2006, 20:30:14 »
Sorry you haven't seen any finches yet.   :'(   

Anything is worth a try Lorna; the main things being that they can see the seeds when they are flying by and that they have cover to fly to (preferably a tree or shrub about 20 feet from the ground).  Mine sit perched on a tall elderberry, that grows amidst the conifers, prior to coming down to the feeders.  I was tempted in the past to cut the elder down as it looks a bit scruffy but am pleased I didn't now.

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2006, 01:21:14 »
Poor you, Lorna - OH has had the same filthy bug, and is only just coming out of it.
Finches - mine queue in a laurel hedge about 8' away from the table; it's about 12-15' high, and often has nests. Also provides a valuable refuge from the sparrowhawk.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2006, 10:07:04 »
Pauline & Rosa. Six feet away from the feeders I have got  a hedge of conifers. They are about 8/9ft high (blackbirds nest in them) and  there are a couple of high trees in Lorna's garden which the birds fly to if they are disturbed when they are on the feeders. Seems I am doing things right and  will be patient until finches decide to visit. In the meantime I enjoy watching the other birds.  Thanks for all the encouragement and help.    Lorna.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2006, 10:37:03 »
Rosa, you have clarified for me that I have Greenfinches in my garden.  Some of the illustrations in books and online are so gaudy, but your photo and then this link have sorted it for me.  Thank you.  We have about six visit regularly and are very entertaining.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/259.shtml

pakaba

• Half Acre
  • Smile, Life's too short to worry about weeds :-)
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2006, 12:02:55 »
Hi
I put my niger seed in a normal seed feeder, where can i get a proper niger seed feeder from?   

My seed goes down really quick, i thought it was the  Goldfinches gorging themselves on it, they'll sit there for 30minute feeding 'fest' at a time, I often wonder how they have the strength to fly off after they have finished, they must double their body weight  ;D But now i am thinking that maybe i have the wrong feeder.

Pakaba
reduce, re-use, recycle.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2006, 12:31:54 »
I bought one of mine from the RSPB and another from a pet shop.
The RSPB are revamping their online shop at the moment but will be open on Monday according to their web page.  http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/  The profits go to protecting birds, which is another bonus.

Other sites that sell them are:
http://birds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/list/feeders-tables?er=googleuk;term=bird+feeders
http://www.gardenbird.com/index.htm
http://www.thebirdtable.co.uk/shop/nick/afbirdfeeders.htm

pakaba

• Half Acre
  • Smile, Life's too short to worry about weeds :-)
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2006, 12:34:36 »
Thanks  :) thats great i'll check them out. ;D

Pakaba
reduce, re-use, recycle.

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2006, 20:04:47 »
Think you just need to wait, Lorna - you seem to be doing everything you can - you just need to be spotted!
Tulippa - the males do brighten up a lot at breeding time, but otherwise they're surprisingly somber. Pugnacious little chaps, aren't they?  ;D

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2006, 10:13:30 »
Lorna, keep waiting - I spotted my first two goldfinches yesterday, couldn't believe my eyes!  They ate the sunflower hearts rather than the nyjer seed but it was lovely to see them.  OH got a bit cross that I was so distracted by them but never mind.  I hope they keep coming.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2006, 10:26:09 »
tullipa. Yes I am still waiting!! Raining today so don't suppose I will see much. Funnily enough my niger seed  is definitely dissapearing. I haven't seen any birds on the niger feeder except couple of days ago there was a sparrow having a feed on it.. .
Maybe I should dispose of the seed that is in there and put some fresh seed out..I will SHOUT when I see my first finch!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal