Author Topic: Association Versus Council  (Read 3415 times)

Davy

• Not So New ...
Association Versus Council
« on: August 09, 2005, 12:53:32 »
Seaham Town Council would like our site to become an Association stating its the only way to attract funding?

In short. What's the pros and cons of an association or remaining with the Council?

undercarriage plan

Re: Association Versus Council
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 22:55:51 »
Where would I fit in then Wardy? My lottie is all on its tod on the end of farm land. Can I still apply for grants. even though nothing to do with council? Here's hoping, but doubting! Lottie

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 17:24:19 »
Thanks Wardy, don't think I'd be eligible, since there's only lil' ol me  :-\ , a few pigeons and three thousand rabbits!! Lottie  ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 21:50:47 »
Good plan, Wardy! Thanks. Lottie  ;D

daveandtara

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 13:25:11 »
lottie,
when i started my business i found that the local council, chambre of commerce and the local enterprise agency were all very good at coming up with possible grants to apply for.
try all of them and they're bound to know of something, they were always falling over themselves to help me!
Tara xx

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 18:37:44 »
Thanks for the information Wardy

Although our site is almost a hundred years old it still doesn't have an Association as such. Several members belong to a joint Association with a couple of other sites in the Borough.
Even then non of the Borough sites have a Constitution etc. and I did try to get one up and running twelve months ago the apathy was a sight not to see

Several of us on our site are now considering forming a group to obtain funding for security fencing.
Although the Council have approved funds for this we have been assured that already 90% of funds for next year are allocated and we have no chance...I see this as an ongoing situation year on year.

More information on the Dreamweaver courses etc. would be useful

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 16:36:39 »
Well I guess the pros are a lot more freedom to decide what you all want to do, and the cons are the extra work involved in doing it!

People will have to take on roles to cover contracting communal services, project management, company business, accounts, waiting list administration, grant applications, company secretary, chairing skills etc. In short, a small group of people will have to take on all the bureaucracy that is a necessary part of making most organisations work, and they will also need to be thick skinned enough to smile and weigh up the views of both non-participating experts on the sidelines and the needs of the general membership.
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 18:34:02 »
It looks like you don't actually have to take over running your site to be eligible for grants. St Anne's ( or Hungerhill Gardens) in Nottingham is the oldest site in the World and covers 70 acres. They have an association to represent the allotment holders but the site is till direct council run. They've just had grants totalling £1 million for improvements with further funding on it's way. It was organised by Groundwork, a local voluntary organisation.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 19:29:34 »
I assume that's the one I've heard vaguely about, it's comparable to my own site but older.

powerspade

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 21:04:46 »
The lottie I'm on formed a association a few years ago.although the council owns the site they do not want to have the responsibility of funding. We formed a committee and began to look for grants,and we got them wow!
we have had funds to replace the fencing , installed water stand up taps new entrance road, paths and a toilet with disabled access. This year we have obtained a strimmer and are now in the process of making a concrete bay to enable us to store about 30 tons of manure. To be in a association gives you freedom but also responsibility

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal