Author Topic: Cucumbers  (Read 3170 times)

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
Cucumbers
« on: January 06, 2006, 09:00:18 »
last year we picked up 2 cucumbers plants from a car boot sale,they were un-named, we grew them in the greenhouse bed along side the tomatoes and the yield was fantastic, they were small (about 20cm) and fat and tasted delicious.

Until last year we had had no success we cucumbers, so I am now totally at sea over what variety to grow?

As a child I can remember my dad growing cucumbers in his long run of coldframes, OH is currently making coldframe at the plot with windows rescued from a skip (we did ask before taking).

Does anybody have any suggestions about type of cucumber to grow in coldframe or any ideas about which cucumber it may have been that I grew last year - a real shot in the dark I know, but hey, one can but ask  !
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

undercarriage plan

Re: Cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 09:45:22 »
Morning! I grew 2 varieties last season, and I was really chuffed with both, Carmen and Burpless Tasty Green, thought the Burpless carried on cropping right up til October. And they were lovely to eat, really juicy and full of flavour... :)

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 09:51:13 »
and good morning to you too, did you grow in green house/frame or outside?
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 09:55:11 »
I grew them in a greenhouse, in the border soil, and watered manically!  ;D

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 16:43:52 »
I grew Burpless Tasty Green outside last year, 10 plants gave me far more cukes than I knew what to do with.... ;D ;D
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

christine

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 23:04:47 »
I grew Petita F1 in the greenhouse last year - ready when 7-8" long.  Is that about 20 cm???

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 23:22:50 »
My best success was with one called crystal lemon (I think).  A round yellow cucumber, sweet and delicious.  Daughter number one who is cuce mad was eating them like apples.  They just kept on producing and not one was a duff one!  This year, along with the long green ones, I am growing the lemon again, apple and mini white!  These are in a frame on the allotment.  The frame is the roof of an old wooden greenhouse!  ;D

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 12:49:09 »
 Hi all  :D
               Emma, I think that the round apple size cues are actually called crystal apple, not lemon. At least I hope so, coz that is what I am growing this year ;D

Adrian.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 13:58:11 »
Cucumber Crystal Lemon also known as Crystal Apple.
Av 45 seeds  (Av 1 gram pkt)
Rounded lemon shaped fruits with yellow crisp sweet skin, a cucumber that can be eaten like an apple and is easy to digest, use in salads, pickling etc. Cucumber crystal Lemon is ideal for growing outdoors in warmer areas or in a greenhouse.

Tut, look, one and the same.....looks like I will be growing plenty of these then!  ;D

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 14:17:57 »
BTG is the best on my plot, some of the small round ones can be a bit insipid for me :'(

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 20:40:14 »
I spent too much time last year trying to keep my sex-mad cucumbers under control - about 15-20 male plants had appeared each morning! I intend to try all-female variety this year, but are they as big, juicy and prolific as standards. I saw a USA site that said they had no seeds in. Information & advice, please.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 17:10:15 »
The female ones are - in my opinion - without fault. We've grown the long & the short & the.....! But we now only grow short ones - they are certainly as good as the long & of a size where they can be eaten like apples - never any waste. Productive? In a cold house - at 650' - 405 last year from 8 plants in bags.

Outdoor varieties, of course, don't have 'your problem'. Too cold??

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal