Author Topic: WINTER LEEKS ROTTING  (Read 8346 times)

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
WINTER LEEKS ROTTING
« on: January 22, 2006, 19:58:29 »
:'( Today I discovered that some of my so-called hardy winter leeks were rotting from the inside of the leek. Some of the other plotters were having the same problem.
It may be related to the weather in November, which in Glasgow was wet and then frosty. It is as if the water trapped in the leeks, froze and destroyed the structure of the leeks.
 While I cannot remember the variety of the leeks, which I grew from seed, it was a modern variety supposed to be winter hardy. I have a suspicion that some of the modern varieties may not be truly hardy.On some of the other plots, the rows of the traditional Winter hardy variety "Musselburgh", look in much better shape.
Has anyone else been having this problem, and can anyone recommend a truly Winter hardy leek?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 19:27:49 by real food »
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: WINTER LEEKS ROTTING
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 20:05:22 »
It happens. Reasons are varied but common problems are soil entering the leaves, getting wet then freezing and that splits the core. Disease isn't usually a cause as most leeks are robust enough to withstand attack.
We tend to put long term veg like leeks at the bottom of the garden and if the garden has a slope in that direction it will sit in a frost pocket for most of the winter.
You could try wrapping your leeks in paper and earthing them up. This will not only give added protection but a tastier and bigger leek.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 22:05:08 »
Could it be the dreaded white rot?  I know leeks are supposed to be less susceptible, but I loose a fair few every year to the rot.  The roots almost rot completely away, the leeks become squishy and sometimes the pong of onion as I pull them up makes me want to retch!  Not pleasant, and my sympathies if it is.

loulou

• Acre
  • what have i let myself in for
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 22:49:23 »
my leeks havent done anything  thay grew to about 2inches high and as thin as a spring onion i did everything said on the packet and no look what so ever any serjestions please

real food

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 23:25:33 »
I have no white rot on the plot, and the roots of the leeks still looked healthy. They were also at the top of the plot. This is why I suspect that some of the modern varieties of leek may not be truly winter hardy.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 09:35:17 »
Hi all,
            This may be damage caused by the leek moth, look at the info from the RHS at, http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0805/leek_moth.asp . May be it is too late in the year for this sort of damage but the info is worth reading anyway.

Adrian.

real food

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 19:39:34 »
Today, I checked on all the other plots, some 100, on our site, on the state of the leeks. The ONLY leeks that are in good shape are all the variety "Musselburgh". It has mid-green leaves.
Modern varieties seem to have blue green leaves, and all seem to have failed to stand up to this winter's weather, which I would have described as relatively mild and wet, with a frosty period in November.
The modern breeders appear to have bred out winter hardiness. I am supprised that the seed companies have not spotted this.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 19:43:52 »
This is of concern, as I have chosen Giant Winter for this coming year as my maincrop leek, as opposed to Musselburgh, expecting a fatter leek. Perhaps I have made an error. Does anyone know what is being grown commercially?
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 19:55:17 »
A lot of my leeks looked fine from the outside this weekend
I dug them up to find they were turning brown from the inside
Does this sound  the same as yours ?
I also cannot remember the type .(about time i kept better records)

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 20:06:03 »
yep, must be the dreaded leek moth, i only know this as ive been watching "The Allotment" you should cover them with fleece, although its probably too late for yours, just salvage what you have now and, be ahead of them next year by covering with fleece. sorry about your crop, its so annoying isnt it.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 23:06:37 »
Something else I've learnt from A4A - honestly never knew there was a leek moth!  We did have a giant variety of leeks rotting on us once but assumed it was because they had frozen and thawed repeatedly in the ground - so went back to Musselburgh and have stuck with them ever since. This tells what to look for

Typical symptoms:
Leaves of leek and onion develop whitish brown patches where caterpillars are feeding within the leaves. Young caterpillars tunnel into the leaves; older caterpillars tunnel down into the stem and bulb causing extensive damage. Secondary rotting occurs within areas of the stem causing parts to become brown and slimy. As damage becomes more extensive, leaves start to turn yellow with brown patches. Silken cocoons on the leaves may contain brown pupae.

Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

real food

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 20:12:24 »
I do not think that the Leek Moth has caused my problems, as the symptoms do not seem to match those given in the RHS advice. They specifically mention Southern and eastern England, and Glasgow is a long way from there!
I also grew Giant Winter Leeks several years ago, and they could not cope with a Mild Glasgow Winter. Why don't you sow Musselburgh as well and compare the result.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 21:58:38 »
rf,
It happens. Stick with 'Musselburgh'.
You will lose a few but that's not a problem, is it?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2006, 07:26:16 »
I grow musselburgh.
The problem i had about 2 month ago was rust on the leaves then the leaves went slimy. I striped of the outer leaves & they seem to be fine now.

real food

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2006, 19:00:43 »
Yes, rust can be a problem with Musselburgh, but they seem to be the hardiest leek.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal