Author Topic: How's everyones Garlic coming on ?  (Read 30899 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: How's everyones Garlic coming on ?
« Reply #160 on: March 26, 2006, 13:20:46 »
In the ground or greenhouse Robert?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #161 on: March 26, 2006, 13:33:44 »
In the ground. Don't worry about the cold, garlic is really hardy. I put Solent Wight in in December, it's come through all the cold weather, and it's thriving. My worry now would be that it might not get cold enough, and the bulbs might not split.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #162 on: March 26, 2006, 13:43:32 »
I do wonder if in the light of the problems i have had with my garlic and the cold winter we've had, I should've started my garlic off in pots/cells and then planted out when they were growing. Even planted out a month - 6 weeks ago they would've had enough cold  to develop the bulbs.

Then again hindsight is a wonderfull thing isnt it?

Tim - I wouldnt worry about your shallots - i would say its been too cold for them to do any good planted when you did. Now that it is warmer why not try again? I was planning and early onion planting - but its just been too cold to risk it.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #163 on: March 26, 2006, 13:49:28 »

Dirkdigger

• Hectare
« Reply #164 on: March 26, 2006, 14:08:39 »
Been over to our allotments earlier Tim, a few people were saying they planted there shallots last November. They are just popping their heads up now.  DD

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #165 on: March 26, 2006, 14:10:30 »
So are mine. If you're worried, poke about and see if the bulbs are still in there, but don't disturb the roots.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #166 on: March 26, 2006, 15:01:10 »
Thermidrome is looking big and beefy, Marco looks a bit sad but perking up now the weather's improved. Planted shallots (Longor) this morning.

gavin.

• Not So New ...
« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2006, 18:33:43 »
The garlic that I planted in November is doing well but the tips of the two biggest leaves on each plant have gone yellow-orange. This has happened gradually over the last few weeks. Could it be a result of the very cold weather or something more sinister?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #168 on: March 26, 2006, 19:02:50 »
Greetings!

I keep saying this - under stress?? But they'll live. Hopefully!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #169 on: March 26, 2006, 19:11:44 »
I think once the spring weather is really here they'll bounce back. They want to live for ***** sake!!!! ;)

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #170 on: March 26, 2006, 20:35:17 »
1. I mentioned earlier that yellowing is usually a sign of stress. Can be caused by being too lush too early in the frosts. Don't worry.

2. Potash - buy it as is. But if you have plant ash, & it's dry, certainly use it. But at a much higher rate.

Thanks Tim. Sorry - being lazy! did not read through the whole thread! Hope the shallots show some life soon, we only planted ours a couple of weeks ago. Last year we planyed ours in beginning of Feb and they did nothing until spring sprung, so don't give up yet!??

The ash is from burning some branches etc.. of a huge bush we pruned back in the garden, so shold be OK to use. thanks

gavin.

• Not So New ...
« Reply #171 on: March 26, 2006, 21:05:11 »
Greetings!

I keep saying this - under stress?? But they'll live. Hopefully!

Thanks Tim

Sorry but I didn't read all of the thread before posting.

I suppose that given the general lack of 'action' in the garden at the moment, there is a greater propensity to worry about the 'small' things.

I also found aphids on the buds of my blackcurrants and raspberries today but that's another story .....

I'll start another thread for my stupid question on shallots

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #172 on: March 27, 2006, 06:57:40 »
Its not, keep checking, but not with us right yet!!!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2006, 22:50:14 »
Brilly magic ;D ;D ;D ;D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #174 on: March 28, 2006, 08:17:57 »
Just in passing - this 'cold spell' for garlic - how cold for how long??

Can April do the trick for April (by the book) planted cloves?

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #175 on: March 28, 2006, 09:35:45 »
Relief, had a poke about yesterday and they are on their way at last, better late than never!!

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #176 on: March 28, 2006, 14:28:22 »
My solent wight, planted March 15th, are showing today. First time at the plot for about 5 days - amazing how the warm/wet weather is suddenly bringing everything on, there was a noticeable difference in my overwintered shallots, garlic and onions.  ;D  And docks  >:(  which shouldn't be there at all!

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
Don't even go there - embarassing moment
« Reply #177 on: March 28, 2006, 14:33:50 »
I have an awful confession to make regarding the garlic planting.   :-[ ::) When I planted it out I followed the instructions on the packet and no where did it say split all the cloves and then plant - so what did I do - I planted the whole garlic clove.  ;D

This was my first year planting mine and only on Saturday when I was checking up on them and saw all the green shoots popping out all bunched together did it dawn on me that how were they going to grow - Duhh!  I checked it up in the vegetable book (which I should have done in the beginning) to check and what did it say - split the cloves!   >:(

Oh dear -   another senior moment! - so guess what I am doing this week-end - yeah unplanting and splitting the garlic and then replanting it.  I just hope that it will surive the transplanting / splitting saga??

Jitterbug

If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #178 on: March 28, 2006, 18:19:08 »
Poor you! How frustrating!

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #179 on: March 29, 2006, 11:33:30 »
I went to check on my (ragged and non-straight) line of garlic at the weekend and poking about I found some had a white mould one them, I'm supposing this is the dreaded 'white rot'. I have the garlic in the same bed as my shallots and onions.... if the garlic is being moidered by this fungus will the other plants get it as well?

If I stick with it long enough the rotation will see garlic etc back in this bed in five years - will the rot still be present??

Many thanks.

Jon

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal