Author Topic: How's everyones Garlic coming on ?  (Read 30078 times)

jonny211

• Acre
Re: How's everyones Garlic coming on ?
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2006, 17:31:05 »
Hiya all,

Have I missed Garlic planting time altogether? I've just taken a plot last week and hope to get started on garlic and shallots as soon as but I'm not sure if I've missed the boat this year. Any thoughts?

Also would garlic be better off started out of the ground. As you can see I'm a novice...

Cheers!

Jon

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2006, 17:51:33 »
Well spotted Curry, At the back on the stand behind and in line with the garlic, is a tray of Red Baron onions - not quite so far advanced as the garlic, but still doing well. The other things are some of my alpines and rock plants, keeping dry for winter, and some Fatsia japonica (I think) seedlings.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 17:57:13 by jennym »

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2006, 18:19:36 »
I've just received my garlic from Suttons - Albigensian White - but it says plant out March-April - gutted!  Been waiting for it to arrive as I am dying to actually plant something in my new plot!   ???
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2006, 23:05:19 »
My information on Albigensian Wight (from the Garlic Farm) says plant in autumn, smaller bulb from spring planting. So evidently you can plant late, but the sooner the better. They're the experts on garlic, so put it in ASAP.

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2006, 08:13:16 »
Thanks Robert - I have two bulbs so I think I will put one in now and one in when they say and see what happens.
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

MattyJC

• Half Acre
  • South Oxfordshire
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2006, 20:14:28 »
My Garlic and Shallots are about 1" through the soil although they have fantastic root growth, I managed to plant them in early November. I was lucky enough to have a bit of a gentle hoe round them yesterday, although I think I will have to fleece them over for a bit of protection.

If anyone is intrested I have a double sided A4 sheet from the garlic farm about all the different varieties, pests and diseases, growing and cooking tips. I'm happy to scan it and email it to you. Just PM with your address.

Matt

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2006, 09:09:12 »
Too late, Heldi, now that you've found Lishka, but what I meant was that Dobies etc were still sending Garlic out.

amphibian

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2006, 09:20:38 »
My garlic have shot up, I now have 4" above soil.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2006, 17:45:56 »
GArlic and onions really beginning to grow now, don't they know it was -10 last week? Still have to plant the shallots. Maybe tomorrow.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2006, 01:44:56 »
Every year I plant garlic - every year it disappears. So I'd decided to cut my losses...

...then the work's canteen bought some plaits of garlic bulbs for decoration. After a while they started sprouting, so I offered to take it off their hands (I'm a kindly soul really), so now I have 16 HUGE bulbs - well, to me anyway - each bulb has around a dozen large cloves. I've no idea of the variety.

Anyway, I'm going to put them in planters tomorrow, rather than into the soil, so I can at least keep an eye on them. If these ones disappear...well, suffice to say there will be a posting of many asterisks!!
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

wilki

• Not So New ...
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2006, 07:15:25 »
Well i thought mine where doing fine until now ::)

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2006, 08:11:04 »
I planted onions and garlic back in November and you can just see the them coming through. I planted both too deep I think. If I get anything i'll be pleased. Got some seed onions later they were sown last week and just coming through in seed trays.

karrot

• Half Acre
  • It was a hard days digging!!
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2006, 23:14:39 »
im glad i read this now, went to allotment this week (first time in ages, myself and children having illness after illness. me having chicken pox for eg) (at my age for goodness sake) was expecting to find great changes, boo hoo. garlick and onions only 1/2" up and beans all gone, (nice weeds though) glad thats normal

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2006, 09:44:27 »
Does anyone feed their onions and garlic while they are growing?

How about a sprinkle of chicken pellets?  Would that be good or bad?  :-\
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Dirkdigger

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2006, 13:40:48 »
Gave my bed a feed of Growmore to weeks before planting in cloves, not fed them since. Can they be given another feed or leave alone ?
DD

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2006, 18:00:42 »
Quote from the Garlic Farm's advice on growing

During the spring the garlic crop responds to applications of nitrogen and sulphur to encourage healthy leaf growth. There is some evidence that the sulphur also assists in the formation of higher levels of allicin, the sulphur compound which is at the centre of the medicinal properties of garlic and also for the sulphurous combinations which make up garlic's pungent aroma.

Hope this helps!

flowerofshona

• Half Acre
  • Life is a lottie
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2006, 18:13:28 »
Wow there big'uns  ;D
Mine went in in December into root trainers in a cold greenhouse (well the alpine house really  ;) ) they are up and about 3" but very strong, just got to find the weather to get them in !!!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2006, 17:04:54 »
Garlic now about 8 inches tall. Onions between 6 and 7. All looking good so far.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2006, 17:15:12 »
Don't the Garlic Farm also suggest a dressing of Potash at 2oz/sqyd about now?

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2006, 17:35:24 »
I think you're right Tim - I remember using potash last year - and expected to find that on their site rather than the bit I quoted! Will go for potash - still got some leftover from last year, in the hope it will still be effective!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal