Author Topic: long waiting lists  (Read 8565 times)

gingerninja38

• Quarter Acre
long waiting lists
« on: January 21, 2006, 22:41:20 »
am 23 on the list :'( the big boss man on the site i want said that they were considering splitting any new plots in to half plots to get down the waiting list but still might have to wait 2 years  :( ah well will have to make do with my container lottie in the back yard!

firstofficerspong

• Not So New ...
  • South Devon
Re: long waiting lists
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 23:10:03 »
Two years' wait here too....  Still looking in seed catalogues tho!  How keen is that?

loulou

• Acre
  • what have i let myself in for
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 22:11:29 »
how did you get on your list and when did you go on it im trying to get an allotment but im going round the bend

gingerninja38

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 00:04:31 »
i went on our local council website and looked up allotments, i then rang the number listed for the chair of the committee at the site i wanted and asked to put my name on the waiting list. i went down today to have a look it's a big site 52 plots can't wait to get one!!

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 07:58:42 »
We have 110 plots with currently a waiting list of 25(ish), all large plots are split in two as they become available. People with half plots are offered full plots if there neighbour/share person gives up. It's a system that works well because even our half plots are quite large.

I suppose the waiting lists are due to allotments being more "fashionable" nowdays.

Ian

firstofficerspong

• Not So New ...
  • South Devon
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 13:18:13 »
Our allotments are run by the town council.  I found their e-mail address and mailed them.  They got back to me a day later.  So it was easy to get on the list: 29 people waiting for 25 allotments!  But the town council has bought a new site which is twice the size and should be available by late 2007, hence the 2 year wait.  Problem of course is that they want to sell the existing allotments for housing so that issue needs to be agreed upon first.

loulou

• Acre
  • what have i let myself in for
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 13:48:27 »
after all the advice from this site i phoned round and iv now got a site start on sunday  ;D my advice like from every one here would be keep ringing round

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 14:04:03 »
In Cambridge there's a three and a half year waiting list for council-run allotments. However, several of the larger allotment sites are run by associations. I rang one, and got my plot three days later. A bunch of friends took the plot next door the day they came to see if there was one free!

If all the plots in your city are council-run then you might have a bit of a wait. However I have heard of people taking on plots by leaving begging notes at sites that had overgrown plots, by volunteering to help on plots that were getting a bit much for their original tenants, and just generally being persistent. This might well be worth a go if there's a small site near you that you really really want to get on to.  :)
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

bananagirl

• Half Acre
    • Bananagirl's Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 15:08:54 »
I'm on waiting lists for 2 allotments right near me, one council, one private. Hoping not to have too much longer of a wait. The council reckon we are near the top, and the private dude I spoke to today says we're about 6th on the list, and he's hoping that when all the rents are collected (was sposed to be Sunday gone) he will get a fair way down the list. Where I live, people don't seem to realise what veg are, let alone where they come from before they make it to supermarket shelves :o so we don't have huge lists. Lucky! ;D ;D ;D
Nothing rhymes with orange...
http://downamongtheflowers.blogspot.com/

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 19:24:50 »
In Elton it's the plots that are on the waiting list! ;D  There are 38 available and just dying to be used, they look forlorn and neglected. If the powers that be  would clear the jungle next to mine I'd take on that as well.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 20:23:30 »
same here Ani ...

Bryan

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 07:01:47 »
:) :) It took my locaal authority two weeks to sort out the paperwork for my lottie. The key was sent through the post for me to view, i had the choice of 22 plots, so took one next to another, to make a double, was allowed to start on it before any agreements were signed, and i am the only lottie holder apart from one.
I can not understand why there are no other lottie holders, as it is a nice site, not too noisy, by Heathrow, site of 23, 20 not being used. May be there will be more interest when people see it being used more.
Don't worry about tomorrow, or yesterday, just think about today.

fanella

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 12:33:13 »
in bradford they cannot give the plots away i rang one day got the site plan the next signed up day after had a whole choice to pick from were only about 20 occupied on the whole site
you laugh because im different , i laugh cos your all the same

Jimmy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 19:29:38 »
There is not one for love or money around my way. Local council done away three years ago with what was here prior to me moving in.

Starting out to discover others who would would want one and go at the council ::)

Moriwaki

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2006, 19:53:23 »
We have both problems,  There is a waiting list for the ''plum'' allotments, yet there are around 15 overgrown jungles that have been empty for years, which no one wants to take on.
If the council cleared them they would have more chance?

Best suggestion that has been put forward is to half the size of them to at least give someone a fighting chance. The Local council make enthusiastic noises but very little ever gets done.
Also (I think it was Bryan) got a key through the post??  We did not get a Key, Nor a door, or a gate , or a fence, and it took us two years to clear it.
But it was the one we wanted closest to where we live. Now we are  ;D ;D ;D

Moriwaki

Bryan

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2006, 20:43:21 »
Yes, it was me that got the key through the post.
The site is overgrown, brambles 9ft high, but the local authority cleared one side, 11 plots, which is where mine are, and left the others. Not to worry, loads of wild blackberries for the picking.
The local authority also offer to rotovate the land for you, on signing of agreement, but i decided to dig the cooch grass out by hand, rather than have it come back in avengence during the year.
As i have said in my previous posting on this topic, maybe they will be used more, once people see them being used. The locals have been watching what is going on, and have been asking me questions about how you can get one.
Don't worry about tomorrow, or yesterday, just think about today.

powerspade

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2006, 21:04:13 »
I live in a very small ex mining town (pop 3500) here in south wales there are 5 allotment sites three are full with waiting lists the site im on has 18 plots with only 1 free very overgrown  plot. Anyone out there living near New Tredegar ?

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 12:18:20 »
i'm struggling to get a plot opposite our house, there's about 16 plots and one man apparantly has got 5 of them, when i said this to the council they were ok with it!!!! even though plots are supposed to be for your own family consumption, how big is his flaming family???? ??? ???

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 12:26:02 »
there's about 16 plots and one man apparantly has got 5 of them

littlegem where we come from they call these people farmers.

Surely the council should be encouraged to share the available land

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 12:54:08 »
no, i've just been on the phone to them and i'm next in line! and i repeated to her about the one bloke having at least five and she said that was ok, if he cultivated and paid for them he could have as many as he wanted!!!!! bit unfair!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal