Author Topic: Chicken Manure  (Read 1704 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Chicken Manure
« on: January 22, 2006, 11:13:44 »
When I clean out the chickens I always put the muck on the compost heap.  However, I have been wondering if, when I clean them out this week, I could put the fresh manure directly onto the places where I am going to grow squash, courgettes and runner beans in the summer.  The garden isn't dug yet but I could dig small trenches and then cover them with some soil.  Would this rot down enough for planting in 4 months time?  Your help, as always, is very much appreciated.

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Chicken Manure
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 12:04:21 »
Done it myself once for runners, I did not find it detrimental. So I mentioned it to someone else a few years later and his runners were very poor. I lined the trench with newspapers for moisture retention so that might have watered it down a bit.

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 12:53:19 »
Hi, why not try composting on it's own under a polythene sheet and see how it goes on in a few  months. It should get very hot that way and be OK for when you want it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 15:48:35 by Larkspur »

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 13:44:56 »
i wouldnt, i think its like most manure, it needs to be weel rotted which needs lots of heta and can take upto a year. putting it directly in the soil could mean that you end up with dead plants!

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 13:46:16 »
You risk burning the plants if you use it fresh. Recommended storage time is 2 years. If you have the space I suppose you could do a test on half the row?

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 14:52:18 »
I class Chicken manure  as a hot manure it is  very high in nitrogen .It needs to be well composted or well weathered ..If You use it fresh  I think You will stand a good chance of burning  Your plants ...When weathered well it is good stuff for your garden... I compost it as a layer of chicken manure then a good layer of strawy stable manure building up the heap in layers .Topping off with  stable manure .  A sprinkling of lime on top.. Then I cover it and let it stand ...But see what others think ...Cheers ..Jim  ..
Cheers .. Jim

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 16:31:16 »
Hi, why not try composting on it's own under a polythene sheet and see how it goes on in a few  months. It should get very hot that way and be OK for when you want it.

Would it work if I put it in a black dustbin liner bag or does it need to have air?

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 16:52:16 »
Hi, I think it would need some air circulation. Poke a few small holes on the bag. The only time I tried to compost something in sealed plastic bags (on someones advice) the contents were still sitting there unaltered two years later ???

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal