Author Topic: Socks in Boots  (Read 5491 times)

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
Socks in Boots
« on: January 20, 2006, 20:05:10 »
Might sound silly...

Everytime I wear my wellies, I find that my socks always work their way down into the toe end!

Does anyone have any tips to help (other than using sock suspenders :))?

I remember when I was a kid you could get furry liners for your boots that folded over the top edge to hold them up - do these still exist?

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: Socks in Boots
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 20:35:23 »
You can still get 'sea-socks' which will do the same thing. Nothing more maddening than a wellie toe full of sock and a sore heel.

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 21:13:38 »
I get nylon pop socks ( tights that only go up to the knee ) and put my socks on over them. It holds them up fine and keeps your feet warm through the cold weather too. :)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 00:04:06 »
Get tighter socks????

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 22:05:27 »
Hi Emmalou,     Try Millets the campming shop I bought some for myself less than a month ago.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 22:30:35 »
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=14686.20

This was a thread a while ago about cold feet - don't know if there is anything to help in there!

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 16:42:43 »

I remember when I was a kid you could get furry liners for your boots that folded over the top edge to hold them up - do these still exist?

Hunter are doing some now, in a link up with some charities.

http://www.giving-welly.co.uk/acatalog/Adult_Woolly_Warmers.html

My wife has had a pair since christmas and says they work very well indeed.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 17:49:54 »
Wear two pairs of socks.
Buy some welly socks which are like a slipper you wear over your socks in your welly

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 20:09:38 »
The best wellies warmas you get at Fur, Feather and Fin, I think,  nice colours, and long enough to turn over the top of the wellies. Keep feet warm. excellent. :D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 08:55:49 »
Two pairs of socks work for me - one thinner, one thicker (like mountain boot sock) over the top. My boots are ankle length too, and seem not to let the socks slip as much as I remember full length ones did.  :-*

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 14:34:48 »
Similar to Joji, I use knee-high really thick denier popsox-type-thingys (thickest they were selling at the Bull Ring market - had to elbow reeeeeally old penshners out of the way to get to them :P) Don't have to bother with extra socks - my wellies are thickly fleece lined. Feet have been reeeally cosy this winter & no bother when I've pulled off the wellies to change into shoes to drive home.

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 22:19:07 »
Your wellies sound good Alishka - where did you get them from?
 I have some really old fleecy lined ones but I've had them for ages and could do with some more. I keep trying on ordinary ones but they seem cold in comparison.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 16:57:17 »
I also wear the nylon knee high pop sox with a thicker pair of long socks (which come almost up to my knees) over the top but I tuck my jeans or trousers into them first before putting on my almost knee high wellies (need to be folded round leg carefully or it can hurt if 'too thick').....I'm only 5ft. tall so all sox & wellies are quite long on me!

do sometimes have a job to 'pull the wellies' off - and when the boots are all muddy, I get huffed & puffed out ???

like the sound of the fleecy lined wellies tho......nice this cold weather  ;)

H.P.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 19:28:56 »
Sorry I missed replying to vee, and H-P, tried putting your sox on first & the the knee-highs on OVER? You might find that the wellies will pull off more easily. Give it a go?

Vee, the boots I've got (found abandoned in a neighbour's shed when she left ;)) are what I think were called Moon boots? Really thick wellie-length boots with a thick fleecy lining. One winter a doormouse nested in one. I sort of tiptoed away and waited til he'd woken up & gone......ahhhhhh.

Again, scuse me for forgetting to reply sooner, vee.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2006, 18:43:16 »
Erm - PLEASE don't laugh - many will think this totally naff - but I found a solution that works for me  (when I wear wellington boots, which isn't that often, but it is so wet and claggy on my plot at the moment...)
By accident, found some spare pieces of cheap carpet tile - polypropelene, bought from Homebase. These were left over from when I decided to carpet a very small room in my house. They (from memory) cost about £5 for a pack of six.
Anyway, didn't want to chuck them, and also had recently baulked at paying £3.50 for new woolly insoles for my boots, so thought I'd see if they made good insoles. They cut easily with stout scissors (one of the girly reasons for buying carpet tiles in the first place)
Well, not only do they make brilliantly warm insoles, they don't ruck, and the carpet seemed to provide a sort of non-slip surface for the loose socks I was wearing. So - worth a try?

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2006, 22:44:01 »
An then you can get lengths of the tiles & tie them round your calves with garden twine - puttees for the discerning Lady Gardener?

Brill idea about the insoles. Got some carpet tiles going spare...you're giving me ideas..... :D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2006, 00:01:45 »
Jen and Alishka, admiring the ingenuity of the Lady Gardener has brought tears to my eyes and a smile to my lips. NOT laughing, honest  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 00:04:45 by supersprout »

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2006, 07:06:42 »
Lish - thanks for the tip.....like the idea of putting knee highs over the ordinary sox (mine are a sort of towelling finish) so yes, they'd probably pull off much easier -  will try it.

& Jen - what a clever way of using spare carpet tiles  ;)

H.P.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2006, 11:40:03 »
Spect we all buy wellies that are bigger than our normal shoe size? Cos if not, the insole would bring the size down bout a half-size.....AND you'd have difficulty pulling off yer boots when you're wearing thick sox.... 8) ;D

tomsagenius

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2006, 21:26:18 »
being a mere man , I cant beleive the fuss over wellies and socks .... why go and get a pair of navvy boots ? These are leather , fur lined and very warm and comfy . In addition they have steel toecaps , puncture proof soles and they are waterproof . Just chuck some polish at them now and agin .
Hope that helps .

Old Tom the gardener

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal