Author Topic: Hmmmm....  (Read 3478 times)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: Hmmmm....
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2006, 00:27:18 »
and plant them deeper than you do onions - at least an inch, as many as three.  I do about 1-2 inches - that's top of clove to soil level - not depth of hole.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2006, 01:32:31 »
I know that garlic needs cold to get started on producing the cloves, but what puzzles me is how they manage to grow it all round the Mediterranean where they don't have that degree of cold? It is part of so many Med country recipes..

contrary to popular belief, it get cold down there - colder winters than in the Uk for sure.
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2006, 11:05:25 »
Thanks Grawrc and RC, I thought that was the case but wanted to make sure I got it right.

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2006, 17:32:47 »
I got my garlic a week or two ago from Dobies. It's Solent Wight and says on the pack to plant outside March/April. Is this a different sort and should I wait to plant it till March or put it out now? I'm very confused now.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2006, 17:48:02 »
Vee, I've ordered Solent Wight too, but from Tucker's.  It won't be here for another 3 weeks.  The reason I ordered that particular variety is that it is for Spring planting so I would wait until late March or April as it says on your packet.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2006, 19:26:13 »
Svea I know that most of Europe has a continental climate- cold winters and hot summers- as opposed to the maritime climate in the UK but garlic grows successfully in Corsica goddamit! - and you can swim there all year round it's so mild. ::)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2006, 19:52:08 »
The ''Plant in spring' garlic is a strain closer to the original plant. (Garlic isn't native to the UK and that one will rot in cold wet soil.)
You can plant it now but to be succesful do it in paper pots and indoors. In March, or when the ground has warmed up a bit, just plant the whole thing in the ground.

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2006, 22:05:01 »
Thanks ken and paulines7 - I'll wait till March then. I've never grown garlic before so it's all new to me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal