Author Topic: Heater in!  (Read 2649 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Heater in!
« on: January 05, 2006, 18:18:09 »
Bbbrrrr.  Just been on metcheck.com and the windchill for our part of Essex for the next 48hours could get to -4.  Glad I have the electric heater on in the greenhouse.  I also lifted all the pots from the floor and gathered them together on the staging....I figure heat rises so it will be warmer near the top of the house.  I really could do with watering in there, but I keep resisting the urge because of the freezing temperatures.  The insulation is working well as I still have chillis cropping, and an aubergine plant still growing!  I finally removed the last tomato plant today as it has botrytis dashing up the stem and I don't want to loose everything in the house to the ravages of mould.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
Re: Heater in!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 08:40:49 »
The insulation is working well as I still have chillis cropping, and an aubergine plant still growing! 

EJ, do you run the heater all winter?

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 09:40:35 »
Hi, EJ,Can you beg Steal borrow the loan of a dehumidifier.. :) Run for a few hours a day it could help with keeping the mould away ..Cheers .Jim..
Cheers .. Jim

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 20:19:30 »
I have a heater but beacuse my Greenhouse door has broke all the hot air just escapes. My tender plants chill and there is ice inside on the glass. All in an English Winter! Dan ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 22:56:54 »
Only from January 'til March Mike, and only on it's frost free setting.  The house is very well insulated and anything super tender comes into the conservatory.

Don't know anyone with a dehumidifier Jim.  :-\

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 09:37:48 »
Hai Dan2, Is it not possible to put a piece of wood and some bubble wrap in your door to keep the warmth in? The winter can go on for a looooong time. Pity to loose your plants.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 11:06:20 »
Hi EJ, I am presuming the temp on some days now will be above 50 in there ..If so crack the vent open and put a fan on for a hour or so  now and again to circulate the air ..that should help..cheers Jim..
Cheers .. Jim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal