Author Topic: Anyone in Chesterfield?  (Read 3499 times)

Catherine

• Not So New ...
Anyone in Chesterfield?
« on: April 08, 2005, 08:57:18 »
My husband, :), three youngsters :P ::) :D and I ;D are just about to take the plunge in Chesterfield.
There's a few plots around and although the majority look well kept, we've not seen many people on any of them!!!
Has anyone got an allotment in C/field and can they recommend any above others if you know what I mean?
Completely new to allotments but not to gardening, this is a great site, trouble is I might spend more time on here than on the allotment!! (only kidding) P.S. how do you get the faces into your text!? (ok, sorted...8.4.05)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 18:07:49 by Catherine »
Catherine

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Anyone in Chesterfield?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 10:38:01 »
Hello Catherine in Chesterfield.  Up the Spireites  ;D  My bro has just got an allotment in Brim (private, no water supply).  It depends where you are in town so you'll have to phone Chesterfield B council and NE Derbyshire and they'll tell you where the sites are.  I know there are some just below the footy ground as you go towards Ashgate (near the gasometers).  There used to be some near Horns bridge too, just off the big roundabout.  I bet there are loads as allomenteering is very big in these parts  ;D   Have a look on the council's websites as there should be a list of them them on there.

Good luck Wardy
I came, I saw, I composted

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 11:49:28 »
When hubby drives us back home from my folks, we pass several allotment sites - the ones in Mansfield looked a bit overgrown (the one near the new road there actually had someone on the plot working!), then in Chesterfield, we saw a lot of overgrown plots. After that, then no more plots in sight of the road back to Caernarfon.

Best of luck Catherine.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 12:15:22 »
Hi Catherine

Where in Chesterfield are you? I grew up in Brimington/Calow (and my grandad had a lottie in Staveley).

moonbells (now in Bucks)
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Catherine

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 15:47:32 »
Thanks for all your replies, talk about fast work, we went down to the allotments near the gas chambers today and there happened to be an allotment free next to the secretary's plot that was rotavated and looked after last year but the people have moved on so its now ours.
The only trouble is its HUGE! Where do we start...
There is what seems to be a full crop of veg that have not been harvested so what is likely to be useable at this time of year? there seems to be leeks, cabbages about 5 feet tall!! herbs some tough looking lettuces etc.
Is it best to start over?
Help!
Catherine

JohnnyLarge

• Not So New ...
  • Rotovator Motivator!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 18:03:04 »
Hi Catherine,
I live in Chesterfield in the Loundsley Green area. I have an allotment in Hasland.
It is well run with no vandalism or theft. Plots are £6 a year. I have 2 adjoining ones which I took on last year. I did wonder about the ones near the Gas Towers. How do they look? How much are they and are there any going spare?
It would be a lot less distance for me to travel too.
ATB
John :)
If at first you don't succeed, Think... Sod It, and find something else to do!

Catherine

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 20:04:45 »
John, From a complete novice's point of view they look great, a bit enormous but well maintained. As far as I can make out, there are two plots available at the mo, one a bit overgrown and the other what looks like virginal soil, i.e. grass! They cost 18 quid and have recently had water brought in from the cemetery (good fertiliser I reckon) only kidding, tapped water.
If you look over the gate (in the p&d car park on ashgate rd,) the plots avail are the very top one (uncultivated) and the fourth one....(a bit overgrown but with a shed), good luck, may see you there one day. I'll be the one with all the kids!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 22:48:24 by Catherine »
Catherine

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 23:08:02 »
Johnny Large   You never let on you were from t'arn!  Where are the plots at Loundsley Green?  I'll be up there next week as I go to my Accountant there. 

Those plots near the gasometers look great - on the flat and generally well looked after.  Well that's what it looks like from the road - and so close to Lidl so you can get some cheapo seeds

Happy gardening  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2005, 08:41:24 »
Our lotties  are about 30 quid a year !  (I get it half price coz I'm reg dis).  We've got water and that's about it.   :-[
I wonder if it's coz they are becoming trendy in the SE?  (practical else where it's called I think)
Get with the beat Baggy

Squire of Ripley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 08:36:08 »
Just a hi to you lot in Chesterfield.. Old Whit here.. waves down to town.. Hope your all still gardening..

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal