Author Topic: Planting broad beans  (Read 2545 times)

rdak

Planting broad beans
« on: October 02, 2003, 13:34:56 »
Hi

I have just taken over an allotment and am a complete beginner. Will be digging the plot over the next few weeks, and wanted to start with planting some broad beans, having bought an autumn-sowing variety. Having never grown beans before, I have a few questions:
1) Is it best to start them off in pots and then transfer to the allotment?
2) Do I need a bean 'trench' as I've heard them called
3) How tall are they likely to grow and what sort of structure should I build to support them?

many thanks
rdak
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Planting broad beans
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 16:54:27 »
Hiya rdak

I start them off in pots anytime now.  Once they are a couple of inches tall I pinch the tops out then plant them out.  I don't dig a bean trench, I have a feeling you do this for runners and not broadies, but I may be wrong.  When the weather is fine I plant them out  in a block, like a rectangle rather than a row, (like you would sweetcorn) then I poke a bamboo at each corner of the rectangle and make a criss cross affair with twine through and around the canes(like a cats cradle!)  I find this supports the plants enough.  I also plant them a bit closer together than is probably recommended but I find they all support eachother then.   As the plants get taller I do another criss cross thing with string to keep supporting them the taller they get. Broad Beans can be effected quite badly by black fly infesting the growing tip, so you are advised to pinch the tip out, I have never had this problem so I leave them to grow and grow, the tallest I have known them get in my garden is about 4 foot or so, however, this will be the first time I have grown them on the lottie so who knows what will happen!  Hope all this babble helps.  I shall be starting my broadies off this week (mental note - must buy some compost!) so I can get them planted out before the winter sets in.

rdak

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 17:17:46 »
thanks for the advice EmmaJane.
Do you have any problems with birds- either pulling up the young shoots or eating the beans? Was thinking I might need some netting, as I'm sure the pigeons are just waiting for something to grow on my plot.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 20:12:17 »
Hi there, nope, the pigeons have never showed any interest in my broad beans - sprouts and cabbages however, wripped to shreds!  I'm sure other members will let you know their trials and tribluations, the only bother I have ever had is slugs taking a fancy, thats why I get the plants going in pots before planting out.   ;D

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2003, 11:56:43 »
Hi. I plant the broad beans in pots because the mice dig them up. The little b*stards don't eat the whole thing, just a nibble out of many and leave them on the ground or take the seeds with them.

Actually not in pots but in those long plastic  flower boxes for balconies with fine chicken wire over the top and put them in the greenhouse. Each one holds about 20. Every year after I have planted them out, the plantlets get attacked by leave edge beetles, every year I think the plants will bite the dust but they always get over it. I never do anything about it, so don't worry if the leaves look like the edges of postage stamps. -Ina

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal