Author Topic: 2006 Pumpkin Competition Chat  (Read 58712 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re: 2006 Pumpkin Competition Chat
« Reply #200 on: May 04, 2006, 23:19:35 »
Mine are all looking very healthy and vigourous, and I will probably do what I did last year..... re-pot them when they get bigger and put them out at the end of May  or the beginning of June, if the weather is good. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #201 on: May 10, 2006, 21:29:41 »
I've been watching the weather forecast and it's looking good for the rest of the month so I've planted out all my pumpkins and squashes today, including my one and only hundredweight....he's gone into the pile of well rotted horse muck. :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #202 on: May 10, 2006, 22:11:31 »
Jesse, are you and I the only members growing Hundredweight? I will be watching your progress particularly well then. I measured my size last year with a tape measure around the girth ... my biggest reaching 46 inches I think and about half a hundredweight?
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #203 on: May 10, 2006, 22:31:38 »
Looks like it's just the two of us growing hundredweight. I'll be happy just to get something big enough for halloween carving, if it's a monster size then my two children will be very happy, S tells me we need to hire a huge truck so that we can bring the pumpkin home....very optimistic he is ;D
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

purple sprouting

• Half Acre
« Reply #204 on: May 12, 2006, 18:30:47 »
We're growing Altantic Giant, and most of the rest I think!!!  Gone mad with over 20 pumpkin and squash plants .......lucky that I like pumpkin soup!!!!

When I discover 'how to' I'll post a picture of my pumpkin patch 'cos I'm really pleased with it.  The plants probably aren't as big or healthy as everyone else's, but during this first year (other than the garlic which has rocketed) the pumpkins and squashes have grown far better than I could have hoped, or anything else planted.

myrtle

• Half Acre
« Reply #205 on: May 15, 2006, 21:54:52 »
Mine are all in now after a bit of a scare with some peat free compost.  I used a brand new bag to pot on everything toms, peppers, cukes, squashes, flowers the lot and shortly after they all started to look a bit sickly so I have had to plant them all in their final positions a bit earlier than anticipated.  At least they are looking a bit happier now. I've got 2 Big Max, one in tortoise poo, one in cow. 1 Mars and 1 Becky in horse.  ;D

stuffed

• Half Acre
  • Hi from Milton Keynes
« Reply #206 on: May 17, 2006, 12:40:40 »
Jesse, are you and I the only members growing Hundredweight?

I have a hundredweight on the go but haven't figured out where I can put it yet so until then am not officially entering.  My books reckon they have better flavour than some of the other giants.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #207 on: May 20, 2006, 13:27:10 »
1 x 12inch Atlantic Giant plant yesterday planted into heap made up of a barrowfull of parks dept compost mixed with decent soil & ancient sheep dung + chicken pellets mixed throughout, all heaped on top of the site of one of my old compost bins (should make for a fairly rich diet, stand well back). Plant presently covered with bell cloche

« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 22:19:46 by Merry Tiller »

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #208 on: May 31, 2006, 18:04:02 »
Planted out 4 'Big Max' yesterday.  These were sown at Easter.  Hopefully they won't be too badly slugged

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #209 on: May 31, 2006, 20:27:32 »
Here are some of my pumpkin/squash.  I have the same amount again on a shelf above looking exactly the same. I intend to put them out in 2 weeks time - I am just hoping the weather warms up as it is so cold here.  My competition variety is Mammoth and they are doing very well and living up to their name.  Good luck to all those who have put theirs out -  now comes the testing time.....eeek!  :D busy_lizzie

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #210 on: May 31, 2006, 20:29:02 »
Oops! It is all the excitement!  :-[ busy_lizzie

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #211 on: June 01, 2006, 14:42:36 »
Looking good BL !!

I have done as you mentioned - re-potted and will plant out when I decide where they are to go

as my space will be a bit restricted.

Are you growing yours upwards this year, if so, on what?

Debs

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
« Reply #212 on: June 01, 2006, 19:00:44 »
planted my Atlantic's and Big moons out on the plot ( Tuesday 27th may). Also put under cloches to help give them a better start.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #213 on: June 01, 2006, 20:22:45 »
Planted out my 4 hundredweight plants this week. Hopefully the chilly nights have passed by here in the midlands, so they get romping away now.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #214 on: June 01, 2006, 23:25:48 »
Hi Debs, Yes I will be planting up again, in exactly the same way I did last year, via a wooden frame. Good luck wih yours - at least the weather seems to be warming up slightly now.  :) busy_lizzie

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #215 on: June 03, 2006, 20:11:22 »
planted my babies out today - hope the blumming slugs don't get 'em.  3 x Big Max, 1 x Carbocha, 1 x Munchkin and 1 unknown (donated by folks who have forgotten what it was) .... hmm, sure there is another big max somewhere ..

Can't wait for them to get going, the planting stage is soooo exciting

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #216 on: June 03, 2006, 23:00:59 »
Because of the positive change in the weather (been scorching these last three days), I have been hardening off my squash in my garden, and will take them over to the lottie to plant out tomorrow.  They are so perfect and beautiful with not a blemish, so it is slightly nervewracking letting them loose in the big bad world.  But I have got to let go and hope they do as well as last years, and it wasn't a flook!  :-\  busy_lizzie

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #217 on: June 04, 2006, 19:42:55 »
I shall be planting my pumpkin plants (Hundredweight) out sometime this week all being well.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #218 on: June 04, 2006, 21:32:14 »
Planted my Atlantic Giant yesterday, 3 plants of pumpkin Ghost and one Jack 'o' Lantern.  Now my whole ambition of getting an allotment has been fulfilled...I have planted pumpkins woohoo! ;D  ;D

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #219 on: June 04, 2006, 22:40:29 »
OH put up my frame and I netted it with string, and then planted out eight of my pumpkin/squash this afternoon.  They are in lots of manured soil and look quite comfy,  - lets hope the slugs don't take a fancy to them.  Have four butternuts to put out tomorrow.  :) busy_lizzie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal