Author Topic: 2006 Pumpkin Competition Chat  (Read 57796 times)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: 2006 Pumpkin Competition Chat
« Reply #320 on: August 07, 2006, 10:29:38 »
You have my commiserations too Emma, you are one of my gurus when it comes to gardening  :)
The impossible is just a journey away ...

bellebouche

• Quarter Acre
    • www.bellebouche.com
« Reply #321 on: August 07, 2006, 18:04:24 »
Somewhat overdue... here's some snaps
That's my first one... it's long been the smaller of the two large ones that I have on the go but it is catching up rapidly. I measured that at about 47" girth today... it's in better physical condition that my larger pumpkin and is rounder. Could turn out to be my 'winner'
Here's Blimpkin #2.... that's up to 49" girth (measured as midway between the top and bottom) but has started to develop a bit of a 'slope' shape now.. hard to describe really but it looks like it's been in a wind tunnel! It has some dinks and nicks on it that have healed but left white scars. If I measure the widest part of the circumference now... it comes in at an eye watering 54"... but in my heart of hearts I know that's a teensy bit like cheating. It's an ugly fruit, but a big one.

I noticed today that there are a couple of butternuts (you can see the rounder leaves in the snap above) that have spouted in this patch from the compost I dug in when I planted the pumpkin seedlings earlier on in the year. Nice bonus to have as 'weeds' I guess :)

I have a third and fourth 'Big Max' vine at the edge of my gourds bed... one has a 12" fruit on it at the moment and I'm hoping that come the cooler weather it'll puff up a bit and grow on well should we get some autumn rains. It's gets some shade from my sweetcorn patch too so that's helping keep the skin fairly pale at the moment.

All told - I'm delighted. The rate of growth on the bigger fruits has slowed right down now... they just seem to be bulking out rather than putting on any serious girth - that's fine I guess as it's all still rather entertaining. I know I'm not going to get the 50Kg fruits that the plant is capable of producing... I haven't paid a great deal of attention to them and I'm not really feeding them on anything... but I will certainly grow them on again next year.

We're planning on getting a couple of weaners (due next week) so these things will ultimately end up as... sausages! I'll post back pics in a month or so and certainly some more snaps should my #3/#4 fruits do anything spectacular.

- Adrian

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #322 on: August 07, 2006, 19:01:59 »
After picking the 21lber because of vine damage, the one I was letting grow just shrivelled up! :'(

New one starting now.... Bit late I think???

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #323 on: August 08, 2006, 22:17:37 »
looking good Adrian  ;D

Oh no Andy,what a bummer! 

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #324 on: August 08, 2006, 23:25:15 »
Yeah, no rain just crusty soil with big cracks. Hose pipe ban for our water surrounded island, so not holding out much hope of beating last years
10 stone. :'(

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #325 on: August 20, 2006, 18:33:58 »
No2 son was being 'helpful' and turned the pumpkins over, so that the underside would go orange.  However, in the process he managed to snap them from the vine. :'(

I brought one home last night - it weighed in at 30lb but the flesh hadn't ripened, so I have taken some of the seeds and chopped the rest up for the compo bin.

The other large one has also snapped from the vine, is there any hope that it will ripen?  They are all Big Max

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #326 on: August 20, 2006, 18:37:08 »
picked off another 20 babies today and letting 2 grow.
Given up trying to pick off the new ones, about 100 so far! never had so many new fruits.

It can run its own course now and do what it likes.

It has taken over a third of he plot and gone straight over 2 tom plants and a few peppers.

Too much to do this month with getting married etc..... :o

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #327 on: August 21, 2006, 14:44:04 »
Getting married Andy, congratulations! ;D ;D
and 20 babies! :o ;)
Mother Hubbard then:

;D ;D ;D

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #328 on: August 21, 2006, 18:31:58 »
Pumpkin babies only ;D

decided after 22 years and arranged whole thing in a week!

Hiring a steam train and pullman carriages for 3 hrs! Bluebell railway!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #329 on: August 21, 2006, 23:46:29 »
Did you really do it in a week? I had a month to organise my wedding, and it was a total nightmare.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #330 on: August 22, 2006, 18:58:11 »
Yep! The night after the decision she went to dress shop and said I`l have that that that etc, whizzed off and booked bluebell railway and appointment in marriage place and registrar in diff district and sorted the seating and friend printed off invites whilst I went to look silly getting measured for top hat/tails etc, 7 days on I took best man to do the same!
flowers ordered, button holes etc, Now we just wait......
(Been waiting 22 years really)! Accom booked in cornwall, route planned too!
Ribbons on train and fire crackers in front on it, name signs for train and menu chosen. bar & drinks on train sorted and stretch limo and jag booked.
I have to go in a cab because I can`t afford posh car :'(

Only have to collect paper work and take to another district and that is litterally all I have to do, even made up the silly little "favour" boxes the other day which did my head in.
Music picked(only argued over one)

:) ;) :D ;D

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #331 on: August 22, 2006, 21:57:10 »
wow Andy, could be a new whole new career for you - lastminuteweddings.com !  LOL   wishing you and your future wife all the best for your day, it sounds very special with the train - don't forget to post some piccies of the day.

Good luck !
mc

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #332 on: August 22, 2006, 22:09:46 »
Yep I will! Perhaps I`d better do a new thread on it cos feel guilty that I have gone off course from pumpkins!
That reminds me.... Note for diary.....

.....cancel wedding as have pumpkin the weigh and sweetcorn to pick...

.....plot to rotivate.....stuff to shred for compo heap...... ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #333 on: August 22, 2006, 23:02:32 »
I had to organise the full palaver, food for a hundred guests (we grossly overestimated and could have fed a medium-sized town), find a minister as ours didn't hold with my marrying a Muslim, rewrite the marriage service for a mixed-faith wedding, it just went on and on and on. But it all turned out right in the end.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #334 on: August 23, 2006, 10:50:56 »
Wow Andy,many congratulations. When is the day?  Yes I think you should start a new thread  ;D  ;D  The train sounds absolutely brilliant,I love that. I've been to a Bluebell Railway...I was about seven years old, so that is thirty one years ago. Wonder if it's the same one?

Pumpkins! I've got two on the Atlanic Giant. One is looking quite promising apart from the fact it's got a huge smiley split on one side. I turned it over,propped it up and the smile has healed.  Someone said it's because of the dry weather and then the deluge we've had. Caused the pumpkin to swell up too quickly. I dunno about that.  I thought it was the weight of the thing and it being on a little slope.
The other pumpkin on the same plant doesn't seem to be growing at all.  I'm just going to leave it and see what happens.
My son still only has one small ghost pumpkin. He is very disappointed. There have been hardly any flowers on that plant.
My daughter has one jack o lantern which is turning orange and another tiny one.
Have a couple of Crown Prince growing up the fence,they look alright but seem small to me.
My camera is bust so no pictures I'm afraid  :(   

Question. Can you grow pumpkins in the same place every year or do they need to be in a rotation ?

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #335 on: August 24, 2006, 07:50:19 »
My Atlantic Giant is now 52" round the widest part but - oh boy, is it ugly!!! I wondered about trying to turn it but, as it's the one and only, I'm too scared to 'faff'!
Congratulation, Andy! What you accomplished in a week is little short of miraculous. (I'm just surprised you didn't go the whole hog and turn a pumpkin into a coach. But maybe that's been done before?) All good wishes!

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #336 on: August 24, 2006, 18:29:53 »
coach pumpkin! great idea if it was big enough!

And at midnight she would turn into a frog :-X

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
« Reply #337 on: August 25, 2006, 17:38:18 »
Do I need to feed my pumpkin?
So far its only had a bit of compost round the roots.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #338 on: August 26, 2006, 21:53:54 »
Many congrats Andy! Crash I was advised to plant pumpkins/squash in a bed saturated in manure as they do like lots of nourishmnet and that is what I do, with good result.  Then you shouldn't have to keep topping them up.  I love all the different varieties of squash especially the yellow ones which always make me smile, so sunny and cheery!   :) busy_lizzie 
live your days not count your years

Simon05

• Half Acre
« Reply #339 on: August 28, 2006, 12:00:40 »
Just measured my atlantic giant, its got a 58 inch girth, I am well impressed first one I have grown. sorry for lack of quality in picture, it was taken with a mobile phone

« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 12:04:39 by Simon05 »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal