Author Topic: sarah Raven and extreme prices!  (Read 9610 times)

Dan 2

• Acre
sarah Raven and extreme prices!
« on: January 17, 2006, 20:13:14 »
I have got all the seeds (I think) I need and wanted to buy two more aprticular things so was searching around and thought I would use her seed catalogue. It cost me £8.35 for just three packets of seed! Its not that much money but for just three oacks of seeds its ridiculous. She also sells cappilary matting for £7.00 a metre, its about £2 at the G. Centre! I've nothing agaianst her but why oh why does she charge risiculous prices!!!!!  ??? ??? ??? All the best, Dan

Dan 2

• Acre
Re: sarah Raven and extreme prices!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 20:15:11 »
Sorry about spelling, was typing rather fast! Anyway, rant over, hope you didn't mind me getting that off my chest!

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 20:43:16 »
:o :o :o
i think she's laughing all the way to the bank >:( >:(
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 22:13:16 »
Her place is near to me, one of those oh I must go there one day.
I get her catalogues frequently and they always make for an amusing read........especially the prices charged for the food courses! :o  :o  :o  :o
Good catalogues though, nice to browse through and think oh I can get that elsewhere at half the price, have you seen the house she oives in.........think the seeds etc. must be paying for that! hmmmm now that's where I am going wrong! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 22:31:46 »
I love the dark red flowers she has so the catalogue is useful for ideas as you say Doris, but I wouldn't pay her prices.  She has some wire baskets which I have one bought on a market in France at a fraction of the price.

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 07:36:18 »
I love her products and have visited the garden on one of her open days, its just the prices she charges!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 11:11:19 »
Does she charge for the catalogue? I'm curious now!

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 11:20:21 »
Not for the catalogue, but when I went to one of her open days last year I did wonder if my order had subsidised her glasshouse...

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 12:07:32 »
Her husband (Adam Nicolson) is a writer and farmer and also grandson of of Vita Sackville-West - I think he's still something to do with Sissinghurst. So presumably they were reasonably well off to start with. She was a doctor and only took up the gardening when the local hospital wouldn't let her go part-time when she had kids.

Catalogue has got some nice ideas in it. If you think the prices of seeds are bad, look at how much she charges for things like dahlias or plug plants.

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 12:14:06 »
Mind you, I do think she knows her market well - at the open day last year I felt a bit like the 'poor relative' - every one else seemed remarkably well-heeled... or parhaps that's just my inferiority complex... :'(

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 12:23:09 »
She also sells little coloured vases etc. £8.50 each :o! You could probably get similar ones at Ikea for less than a pound.  I think some people are prepared to  pay extra for the 'image' they are buying into. Sarah Raven has already made the 'selection' for them so they know they're buying stuff that's fashionable. As for the courses she runs, maybe some people just have too much money!

I think her books are good though, especially 'Grow your own cut flowers'.

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 17:16:06 »
When I went to her open day last year I didn't buy much, some plant labels and seeds...oh...and a drink  ;D! I was parked by a Bentley!!

Reading Street Rd.

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 17:43:51 »
I went to  her very first open day a few years ago.  I was disappointed at the size of her garden, I expected something bigger. 

I must say I did buy a few packets of seeds, expensive as they were BUT I save the annuals seed every year and have had them ever since. The perennials have multiplied and also been shared. I get so many seedling and supply all friends, family and gardening clubs. They were all excellent seed and value for money at the time; but her prices have gone out of my price range now.

If people don't buy, perhaps she will get the message. The prices she charges for a day course, I can get a cheap weekend break for.

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 17:48:21 »
Heldi the catalogue is free - for the time being!!! It's worth a read of her website too, if you have a spare moment and need a laugh!!!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 19:03:22 »
You don't like Sarah much do you Plocket?!  ;D

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 19:04:22 »
PML! Now where do you get that idea from Dan? ? ? ? !!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 20:17:29 by Plocket »
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 19:06:20 »
Go on Heldi - get yourself some light reading: http://www.thecuttinggarden.com/html/catalogue_order.asp

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2006, 20:10:08 »
I know Im a bit stupid sometimes but what's PML?  ???

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2006, 20:16:11 »
Pi**ing myself laughing!

Px

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2006, 20:16:59 »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal