Author Topic: car navigation  (Read 1503 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
car navigation
« on: January 17, 2006, 11:26:23 »
Has anyone got an in car navigation thingy?..any ideas on the best buy, it would just be for local use, or doen't that make any difference?..I was thinking of getting one for my lad. all help gratefully received...thanks Val.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: car navigation
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 15:18:52 »
Val. Sure somebody will help but will ask my sons opinion. He has a sat nav but as he is a lover of boys toys he now has an  In car computer which does all weird and wonderful thing. I am sure that would be too expensive if you only want a sat nav, I will ask him about his normal sat nav. I think he would put the redundant one in my car but would really be a waste. If I go out of town to Kent etc he normally chauffeurs me (so that I can have a drink!!). Anyhow will ask him make, cost and performance of the sat nav when he pops in.

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 16:55:33 »
Thanks Lorna it would be a help. I only heard about them the other day and thought it'd be just the thing especially for a youngster, they can use and understand them, I don't have a clue I'm afraid, prefer the old fashioned way, head in the map book.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 17:16:00 »
Val. John may pop in a little later to return my car (Grandson fitting new radiator for me. he he got my own personal mechanic!"!)

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 17:50:34 »
Well .....................  how much have you got to spend? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :o

Garmin are a worthy brand.
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 17:51:02 »
lucky you Lorna, what would we do without these young uns? ;) thanks.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 17:53:36 »
Daughter and son in law both have 'Tom-Tom' which they find excellent.  There are different models for differing needs though.  Also believe Garmin are good too. (That is the one other half would go for ;) )They do have these (or sometimes other makes) on offer at Aldi or Lidl too.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 17:56:34 by Mimi »
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 17:54:28 »
I don't want to spend a lot, the cheapest going, because you know what lads are like they always want to upgrade, so I need a starter.  Thanks Mimi and flowerlady. This site is so slow for me at the moment, be back later. Val.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 17:56:50 by Val »

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 19:17:02 »
Val. John has just said he was really satisfied with his TomTom, he suggests "TomTom Go"   he thinks price about £260. As Mini said there are different models. John thought the one he has suggested would do all that you want it to and no worries about wiring etc. In fact he reckons the TomTom is better than the sat nav that is in his "In car computer" Good luck. Lorna. Yippee got my car back!!

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 19:53:34 »
Someone I know got a Garmin StreetPilot i3 and says it is good. The cost was £144 from Woolworths, but I think Somerfield are doing it for £99 but might be wrong.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 19:56:16 by jennym »

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 22:42:55 »
I have a tomtom, on my phone - very good, I think the tomtom go models are excellent.

A work colleague has just bought the garmin i3, and he swears by it.

A friend has the navman something and he says it is rubbish!

Hope that helps.

Dan

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 09:00:29 »
thanks for the help folks, Jenny that price sounds really good, never thought of looking at the stores, think I might google around now I know what I'm looking for. brilliant.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal