Author Topic: Cloches  (Read 2579 times)

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
Cloches
« on: January 19, 2006, 21:57:23 »
A really simple question but my first so please be kind!

Last year half my squash & courgette plants got eaten by slugs before they ever got going so this year I have collected 2 litre bottles to use as mini-cloches.  My questions are
a] is this a good idea - will it work &
b] how do I use the bottles?  Do I cut them in half and use both ends or use the bottom half or the top with/without the screw top?

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: Cloches
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 22:03:52 »
Mary, i am no expert but I take the top off and cut the bottom inch or so off the bottle. You can then push it into the soil so that it doesnt blow away!! Moisture still gets in the top and your baby plants are protected from the evils which fly or crawl without!

Hope thats clear enough!!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 08:38:56 »
I'm with katynewbie, use the old pop bottles to protect from slugs, wind and ... squirrels. I planted squash in the squirrels' playground last year and they pulled some of the bottle cloches up  >:(, so this year I will wedge/pin the cloches down with cut up wire coathangers to be sure  ;D. I think marrow and squash need a bit of tlc early on, this seems simple and it works. I do remove them later on if the squash want to scramble.  8)

cheddarpaul

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 09:13:26 »
If you can collect the 4 or 6 pint plastic milk bottles you can cut them in half and use the top half (minus the lid) as a cloche and the bottom half for seeds....

Cheddar, Somerset

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 09:32:00 »
I think that the top of the pop bottles is preferred as it lets the cloche breathe, avoiding those fungal problems due to excessive humidity.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 13:07:06 »
I didn't think the plastic milk bottles would be any good because they're not clear ??? I've been putting them in the recycling crate. Should I be dashing out at midnight to rescue them from other people's crates? (Yes, I am that odd).
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 13:13:13 »
I've wondered about milk bottles too - but I need to save my 4pt ones anyway to carry water in - none on site until I get a shed and waterbutt!
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 14:09:20 »
I'm using some of mine filled with elderly waterbutt water to hold down the tarpaulin covering my shent (half shed half tent).
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 14:58:52 »
I use plastic milk bottles with the tops cut off to safely collect up all the bits of glass I keep finding. I have them dotted around the plot so they're handy and when full just take them home and put in the bin.
I've been saving clear 2 litre pop bottles to use as cloches but was worried that slugs would crawl inside and be an even worse problem. So they keep them out do they? Even better than just wind and cold protection.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 16:55:04 »
Well, it seemed to work for me vee - here's the theory ::) if you squidge the bottles in firmly in enough around the plant (1" or more deep), slugs will arrive at the side on their night time walks on the surface of the soil, bang into the side of the cloche, look up and decide it's too tall and slippery to climb, dig down a bit and find they still can't get through, and say in their sluggy way, this is a lot of bother, I'll go off next door for my feed tonight  ;D.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 20:42:50 »
Thank you all for your advice, I shall certainly try & give my baby plants a flying start.  I shall also start collecting milk containers too.

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 23:41:17 »
Thanks Supersprout - that's good news. I'll definitely try them then. NB Must drink more coke, must drink more coke ... ;D ;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 09:11:38 »
Hey vee, not going too much off topic I hope, an idea to get extra value from your coke. Invite peeps (specially little ones  ::)) to the plot and fill them up with coke, then when they suss there's no loo invite them to add (erm) domestic activator to your compost heap ;D

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 09:25:29 »
....and with all the coke inside them they will be so hyper they'll be more than willing to get digging!   ;D

Milke bottles, coke bottles, marg tubs - my shed is beginning to look like a recycling centre!  Where do you guys keep all this stuff - I don't have a shed on the plot....yet!
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

cheddarpaul

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 11:20:55 »
My garage also looks like the local recycling centre - loo roll tubes, yoghurt pots, empty grape boxes, cut up milk bottles, net curtains, plastic bags and then the tools of the trade (must make a note to myself - I need a shed up at the lottie!!!)

Cheddar, Somerset

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2006, 17:00:07 »
;D

I dont have a useable shed either, so the spare bedroom is doubling as storage area for recyclable plastic stuff, tools, petrol strimer, egg boxes, and sundry other bits. At the moment i throw stuff in through the door and slam it quick!!!!

;)

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2006, 18:54:14 »
I use both ends of empty 2 litre pop bottles but cut air holes out of the nobbly bits on the base.
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

filstaz

• my little helpers
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2006, 19:51:15 »
we were thinking of using water bottles too but most of ours are green. would this matter  ???
weeds are just plants in the wrong place!!!!!!!!!!!!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2006, 09:25:34 »
Good question, it shouldn't matter for windproofing and slugs, but you might not want to leave the tops on as the pigment might exclude light. But it might not be significant enough to worry. Try a few of each and let everyone know the result! ::)

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2006, 09:41:09 »
Just thought I would chuck a link to the demijohn cloche thread in,  if anyone wants to know how to make these.

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=28&topic=15603.msg158603#msg158603
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal