Author Topic: Our Siberian Huskies  (Read 4702 times)

ipt8

• Hectare
Our Siberian Huskies
« on: January 16, 2006, 18:33:50 »
Following the messages on the use of pets hair for birds nests on another board I was asked about our Siberian Huskies.

We keep four adults and in December bought two new puppies, so yes we now have six.

My wife races them and anyone interested should search in Google or what have you for The Siberian Husky Club. In this country mushers ( I can safely call my wife mush ;D) use a three wheeled rig. Most also have a sled and pray for snow.

The dogs race in either twos, fours, six or eight dog teams. The difficulty is getting a number of dogs equally matched.

We had some bad luck with one of the pups when the pair of them were racing round the garden one tumbled over awkward and fractured its rear leg. So now we are donating regularly to the local vet. ::)

joji

• Hectare
Re: Our Siberian Huskies
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 19:09:58 »
Hi ipt8

Have you any pictures ?

Here are ours. ;D

We also have an Alaskan Malamute. ;D

We have had huskies for almost 15 years.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 21:47:24 »
Joji. Can't help it, gotta say again how beautiful they are

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 22:24:18 »
They are aren't they Lorna.

How's the gorgeous Ziziou Jill ?

Hi ipt8. I'd love to see some pics if poss. I have a son who has become very fond of Huskies! (He also loves parrots incase you have any pictures of those   ;D ).

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 22:51:06 »
Thankyou Ladies ;D

I will post some new ones up soon.

Ziziou is doing great Heldi. I will post a new pic up in a few days. :)

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 10:04:26 »
Pictures soon, I will get Barbara to search some out. I also need to do whatever to be able to post to the site. I will sort it when I get a minute!

We may have parakeet pictures, I will see. We have not had a parrot for years. We had a yellow fronted amazon rescued when my wife used to help the RSPCA, but that was many years ago.

Whippet

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 10:37:24 »
What lovely dogs.
And what a fantastic sport that must be.
Do either of you do International racing, or is it just for pleasure in the UK?
You can take me out of Yorkshire - but you can't take Yorkshire out of me

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 10:50:48 »
Hi Whippet

Thankyou. :)

We usually run them all over the UK. But can't go this year now as the van needs attention. >:( :(

You need a pet passport at £200.00 per dog to take them over seas and that is only for the EU areas. That passport has to be renewed every year.

ipt8

Will you be at crufts?

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 19:52:09 »
Hi Whippet, no we havent been abroad with them yet but you never know we may do one of these years.

Hi Joji - no we did not qualify for Crufts this year but did the last few years. Mind you Barbara only enters a few Championship shows, too expensive with the racing as well.

We used to use an estate car for our Collie dogs. These have now all passed on, bless em all, so we then changed to Huskies and got a van, now we have a bigger van ::) Er.... we have a small ex Bt Transit for sale if you happen to be looking for one!

We are at Sherwood Pines this weekend, giving Aviemore a miss this year as we have the pups, but we intend to go to Ae Forest in March.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 20:22:57 »
Joji. Can't help it, gotta say again how beautiful they are

same here, gorgeous...especially the last pic, awww I want one :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 20:30:48 »

same here, gorgeous...especially the last pic, awww I want one :)

NO Jesse you don't they are fun in the winter but hard work in the summer when it is too hot for them. :)

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 20:33:14 »
Hi Joji - no we did not qualify for Crufts this year but did the last few years. Mind you Barbara only enters a few Championship shows, too expensive with the racing as well.

I just thought that even though you didn't qualify you might make a day of it and go have a look thats all. :)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 20:37:18 »
poor things, they must really feel it in a hot summer. How do you keep them cool? My parents had a labrador when we lived in SA, he really felt the heat but we had airconditioning in the house so it was easy for him, he'd spend the day indoors and go out in the evenings when it cooled down a bit. Otherwise he'd take himself for a cooling swim in the swimming pool. :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 20:48:36 »
2 air con units and 3 oscillating fans just about do it. :)

Whippet

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 17:50:52 »
ipt8 - is it your Huskeys that you show?

I used to know someone who had one - years ago. They had their kitchen floor tiled, so the dog could keep a bit cooler in the summer.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2006, 19:11:37 »
Hi whippet
Yes my wife shows some of the Hukies but only a couple of times a year. Usually The Ladies Kennel Association Show we go to.
We, or should I say she, concentrates on the racing. Its really her hobby. We could not afford the showing as well as the racing.
Our Huskies actually sleep out which is where they prefer to be.
I will be attaching some photos when I find out how to do it. I paid my tenner but have to find the next step. I thought I read somewhere you could browse for the photo you want and attach it but I cannot see a way to Browse?

Whippet

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2006, 17:30:23 »
I look forward to seeing the pics when you sort out how to do it.
I don't know about this site, but usually when you click on 'Browse', it opens the pictures on your computer, and you select which one you then want.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2006, 09:44:47 »
Hi ipt8

When you reply to a post...just underneath the box (where you type) on the left is "additional options"  click on that and you should be able to browse for your pictures.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2006, 13:10:34 »
They are beautiful dogs!!

My dog was 'supposed' to be half huskie when I bought him. Turned out to be 100% German shepherd - but he was only £50 out of the paper so I couldn't really take them to the 'Trade Descriptions'  ::)

He looks like he's crossed with a donkey and I've thought about harnessing him up to a dog-cart many a time. Probably end up in The Trent though knowing him!

Racing them looks like a fantastic sport  :)
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2006, 17:44:24 »
Do you have a picture of your dog Trixiebelle ?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal