Author Topic: Garden Canes at Poundland  (Read 4833 times)

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
Garden Canes at Poundland
« on: January 12, 2006, 23:16:36 »
If anyone needs Garden Canes for Wigwams for peas and beans, Poundland are selling 15 x 6ft Bamboo Canes for a quid. :)

Dunno if I've bought enough but I've bought a couple to start off with.

Dave
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Garden Canes at Poundland
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 23:23:26 »
Just what I need, thanks! :)

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 23:50:05 »
shame, they do not seem to be in the south!  :-X
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 07:21:21 »
Webmap of Poundland stores in the UK
http://www.poundland.co.uk/page_stores.html
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 07:24:02 »
http://www.poundland.com/

Try this link Flowerlady, I had thought that too but had a look and realised I have several not too far from me, I can make a trip as there are other things I need so I can kill several birds with one stone and stock up too.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 07:24:39 »
Sorry John, great minds think alike!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 08:23:37 »
I have bought these on previous years, I keep hoping they will get 8ft canes in!!!

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 19:02:40 »
why thank ye kindley  :D  shall go and have a looksee  :)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 14:48:58 »
I found the shop!!  Happy bunny now!!  :D
thank you

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 15:00:23 »
Brilliant, thanks for this info, you have saved me loads of money.  I ended up clearing out half the shelf stock of canes at my local store (bought 4 packs of 6' and 5 packs of 4')  I did get lots of strange looks as I carried them to the tills and then back across Newbury to the carpark!!!  I had never even previously noticed the poundstore, so thanks for letting us know and introducing me to an Aladins cave.

15x6' or 30x4' for just £1 seems amazing and allows me to support all my peas and beans, etc.  I was worried at how much I was going to have to spend for supports, now no worries.  I also took the chance to buy a few hundred polystyrene cups, suggested elsewhere  - I think these will be great to start early peas, etc, off at home (mice at allotment, so no good starting them there).  Just need to get some strong netting to attach to the poles for the peas, so if anyone notices any, please let me know

And then (finally!) 4 packs of 6m lengths of netting for half price at just (yes...) 50p each !!!!!!!  Hopefully it will be good enough to net brassicas against the pigeons, pheasants, grouse, etc, etc... I don't expect it to last more than one year, but at 50p, it's disposable.

Thanks again
mat

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2006, 15:57:31 »
Hey there's even one not too far from here. Think I'll go and have a look. THanks John and Tulippa! ;D

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 16:32:54 »
Many thanks Dave I too staggered out laden with canes, the 50p fruit netting (x2), multicel starter pots, an amazing buy, and several packets of assorted bedding plant seeds. Ta mate :D

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 23:29:47 »
ooops - made a boob - mentioned the canes over on the woollies thread!!...very disappointed - went to Reading today to Poundland - no canes and certainly no other bargains as Mat seemed to find at the Newbury branch....maybe someone beat me to it! :(

Had I have been able to get my 6ft. canes - I'd have been taking them home on the bus  ::)

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 12:51:13 »
very disappointed - went to Reading today to Poundland - no canes and certainly no other bargains as Mat seemed to find at the Newbury branch....maybe someone beat me to it! :(

Newbury has quite a farming/smallholding/gardening base - possibly more so than Reading. maybe this is why Newbury (which is a fairly small store in the town centre) had a smallish gardening section.  Or maybe I was just lucky!  I wish I had bought more of the shorter ones now, as I have now realised they would be suitable for another use... and I imagine they are sold out now...

mat

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 23:20:51 »
I got some cloches too for £1.00 -  gardening bits and bobs seem excellent value

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2006, 00:19:11 »
Glad to be of help! ;)  Nice for me to be useful for a change! ;D
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2006, 13:59:20 »
ahhh   .....   :)

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2006, 14:57:13 »
Thanks for the tip-off about this - went to my local store yesterday and bought 5 or 6 boxes of netting 1.75M x 6M, a small cloche thing, several seed tray inserts, and two packs of pea/bean netting, all for a fiver. Then I went next door to Wilkinsons and bought some seed trays, a bag of 50 onion sets and 4 packets of seeds (swede, peas, sweet pepper and butternut squash) for another fiver. Now that's what I call value for money!

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

Blacksmith

• Practical & Ornamental Ironwork
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2006, 16:03:31 »
Hello all, Another new member, will be going into Newbury this week, will report back if there are any left after I have bought my share !
Dave

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal