Author Topic: Working from home..  (Read 2593 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Working from home..
« on: January 16, 2006, 12:26:09 »
Anyone else do it, and,  if so, what's the secret to to keeping at it (apart from deadlines to meet)? Am currently logged into 5 sites an' this darned Report I'm 'working' on  isn't getting written. :o Thought I was being so clever, clearing off a whole day to get it done, too...(must go, got notifications of mails on 3 of the 5 just come in..) ;)

Lishka

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re: Working from home..
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 13:43:20 »
I used to have a Reflexology Practice with my consulting room being at home. It was obviously easier for me, because once I was in that little room the outside world didn't exist and clients kept me focussed.  It must be harder when you are working alone and having to deal with the everyday distractions of homelife. That is why it is so good to have an allotment you can just get on in peace, whereas in the garden I would be stopping to answer the phone and have cups of tea.

I am not very self-disciplined, which is the key.  So more discipline is the answer.  I am a great believer in Lists and ticking things off, also delayed gratification, giving yourself a reward when it is done.  But I can imagine there is no easy answer.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 14:32:44 »
I work from home, deadlines is the only thing that motivates me, soooooo hard to work when there's other distractions. :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 14:51:17 »
Me too but also have to drive miles to meetings and do demos.

But come summer, theres always 5 Min's to do a bit of pottering!!  And coffee breaks in the garden in the sun - dream on!!
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 14:53:10 »
Get off this board & get on with your work -if only I could take my own advice ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 14:59:56 »
Due to regulations/insurance costs I had to stop working from home. Now I'm a frustrated therapist/chiropodist looking for home work of almost any description. Anyone want an envelope stuck down?

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 16:28:23 »
Errrmmmm what about if you are in the office and logged on to 5, no make that 6 sites AND supposed to be concentrating on a rather complicated Excel spreadsheet??   :-\   Time to go home I think!   ;D
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 16:36:35 »
I've been working from home since forever. I still find it difficult to concentrate at times, especially when the weather's good and there's gardening to be done, and I don't know any easy answers!

Deadlines scare me - great motivation, and I although it is an untidy little place, my study is my work space, so being there means 'get on with it!'.

The best thing about working from home is the absence of office politics.

CLx

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 16:55:48 »
So, do one need to be into IT to do 'home-work'?

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 17:31:37 »
noooooooo-cant stand 'IT'.i leave that to the other half-hes very computer literate-i just bash keys-
i find a great attention grabber motivation wise..are BILLS.
bills what? you may ask....no-those dam things that come thru the letterbox with relentless regularity...what do i do?
i am a arteest! ;D
i have been self employed for over 20 years and never tire of the frisson of poverty!
kitty
xx
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 20:23:30 »
My OH is self employed so I do all the admin and books for his businesses, also get some work sent home from a company I used to work for...it ranges from graphics, spreadsheets, surveys, data entry, databases, telephone surveys etc, basically what workload they can't cope with at the time and provided it's possible for me to work off site then it gets sent my way. Fits in really neatly with the kids which is what I love. :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 21:47:49 »
Working from home/self employment?-it`s good-apart from clients who do not pay on time,no paid hols,no pension,no perks.........................don`t get Mrs Cleo started ;D

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 10:43:19 »
Know all those VERY well Cleo!

CLx

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 13:27:40 »
So, is there work out there? If so, where?

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 13:34:34 »
Alishka: I'm self-employed as well and have NO self discipline  ::)

I've already given myself 2 verbal warnings and didn't invite myself out on the work's Christmas 'do' as penance  ::)

No advice but 'empathy' in bucket-loads  ;)

Trixie X
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2006, 13:54:54 »

I've already given myself 2 verbal warnings and didn't invite myself out on the work's Christmas 'do' as penance  ::)

Trixie X

Spluttered my coffee over my brand-new keyboard. ;D ;D ;D

Finally got my Report written, 1st Draft, last night, then looked it over this morning, printed if off & packed my briefcase ready for tomorrow's meeting. Sorted! - and that was all done before 8.00am. Deadlines again...had a plumber threatening a visit at 8.30 (course, he didn't arrive on time, still...got me moving). Just can't handle a 'free' day, I suppose. Sad, innit?

Ken, I'm puzzled, cos round here Mobile Chiropodists are at a premium and coining it in. That not an option where you are? I'm fortunate in my Proper Job - employed on a casual basis and contracted to do 4 jobs of work for them in a year, with the option for more work if I want. This keeps me going between the odd-job gardening I do - currently have about 10 elderly clients I help. Again, not an option for you?

Cheers! Lishka

two sheds

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2006, 16:04:27 »
Dont talk to me about deadlines!  self employed accountant and tax consultant extradonnaire working from home..........8000000 tax returns to do, get signed and submitted within the next two weeks......and still i am looking in on the various forums that I lurk in.........perhaps i should have made more of a fuss in the summer and persuaded clients to send me their stuff instead of tripping off to the allotment! ;D

usually, though when its no so manic, i do make myself work, mind you it has taken me 15 years to get to this point.....it helps having a tv card on the computer!

Julie two Sheds

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal