Author Topic: Baking potatoes  (Read 7495 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Baking potatoes
« on: January 13, 2006, 22:31:57 »
What varieties (new and main) would people recommend for baking? I've been growing Duke of York and King Edward, but I'd like to experiment a bit.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Re: Baking potatoes
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 22:40:52 »
Wilja are good for baking IMHO

grassroots

• Half Acre
  • If at first you dont succeed GIVE UP.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 23:36:33 »
Hi Robert, try Kestrel or Cara. You can also look on C W Groves web site as a reference.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 00:12:01 »
I grew Caras last year and once I had separated the slugged ones out (slugs are a bit of a problem with Caras) they were fantastic bakers.  I haven't ordered them this (solely because of the slugs) but I cannot remember of hand what I have ordered instead - will amend post post when I find out, but there was a good baker in there.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 07:49:22 »
I like Red Duke of York and Winston for earlies, Nicola and Rooster for main crops. 

Nicola is often sold in the supermarkets as a salad potato.  I found when I grew it at home (and it was well watered so bulked up well and grew big tubers) they made very, very good summer baked potatoes.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 09:02:44 »
I grew Kestrel and Cara last year, Cara made great big spuds for baking, definitely growing again this year as slugs weren't too much of a problem for me. :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 09:03:50 »
I grew Caras this last year, on the recommendation of a neighbour, and I was extremely impressed. They are perfect for jackets and large baking potatos generally, and so have re-ordered for this year ... some slug damage, but not excessive in my opinion

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 09:18:05 »
I forgot to say Cara's show good blight resistance as well, our allotments are plaqued with blight and I didn't get any last year so was very impressed, worth growing if blight is a problem for you :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 18:36:02 »
Red Duke of York, if you can leave it long enough to reach baking size is very good.

Saxon is also nice a fluffy (don't confuse it with the ones you buy in the shops!!!)

Arran Victory is very good flavour but not easy to get a good size

Phil

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 17:23:16 »
sorry to sound a twit but....when you say 'baking' do you mean as in jacket potatoes or do you mean for roasting?? (able to cut them about a bit)

the reason I ask is....lots of you have said how good the Cara are (which sounds great) but....if these are to be baked as a jacket potato....the last thing you want to find is a slug in the middle of it!! :o

a confused H.P. (often the way tho ???)

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 20:25:01 »
Grabbed Tuckers catalogue (albeit the 2005 one), they have a list of varieties suitable to a particular way of cooking.

1st earlies: Arran Pilot, Concorde, Duke of York, Epicure, Foremost, Pentland Javelin, Red Duke of York, Rocket, Swift, Vanessa, Winston.

2nd earlies: British Queen, Catriona, Estima, Kestrel, Marfona, Merlin, Mona Lisa, Nadine, Nicola, Osprey, Saxon, Wilja, Yukon Gold.

Maincrop: Ambo, Arran Victory,Cara, Desiree, Harmony, King Edward, Kondor, Majestic, Maris Piper, Maxine, Pentland Crown, Picasso, Remarka, Romano, Sante, Spey, Stemster, Valor, Verity.

Tescos was selling Cultra as baking potatoes.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 20:32:29 »
Baking potatoes are the ones baked in their jackets. If they have been damaged by slugs there will be tell-tale signs on the outside of the potato and as you remove the brown/ rotten part before wrapping them in foil and putting them in the oven you will quickly discover whether the slug is still resident or not. ;)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 20:33:57 »
http://www.wcf-phoenix.co.uk/web/site/home/home.asp
This site has lots of info about potatoes and their uses and problems.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2006, 10:18:44 »
http://www.wcf-phoenix.co.uk/web/site/home/home.asp
This site has lots of info about potatoes and their uses and problems.

But not much on suitability for baking!

Phil

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2006, 11:27:15 »
...Red Duke of York, if you can leave it long enough to reach baking size is very good....Phil

I left some Red Duke of York to get big and they were very nice as a baked potato.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2006, 14:05:31 »
True Phil at best it usually says something like "suited to a wide variety of uses", but occasionally you do get:
Variety Kestrel 
Year of Breeding 1992 
Maturity Second Early
General Comments  Modern disease resistant potato with well above average flavour, good yields and top exhibition appearance. Slug resistant.
Cooking Comments Top flavour. Medium firm with no discolouration. Matures gracefully to be general purpose, summer chipper and baker. Tuber Skin white with bonny blue eyes. Flesh white to cream. Long oval.
Blight Resistance High
Scab Resistance Moderate
Roasting/Frying No 
General Purpose Yes
Boiling/Salad No
Eelworm (PCN) Resistance
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 14:16:37 by grawrc »

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2006, 14:13:19 »
Maincrop: Desiree - lovely red skin, waxy, but never have know a flop and they taste GREAT  ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2006, 19:48:34 »
Can I second/third the vote for Arran Victory, a fantastic spud baked or roast. I will be growing it for the 4th year this year.

Picasso have also been nice baked along with Romano.

I cant see a year with out Arran Victory though, even on my heavy soil the slugs leave well alone and if you plant early and harvest late you get a good baker size.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2006, 07:53:19 »
Can I second/third the vote for Arran Victory....

....and if you plant early and harvest late you get a good baker size.

How early do you plant Arran Victory?

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2006, 11:22:59 »
sorry to sound a twit but....when you say 'baking' do you mean as in jacket potatoes or do you mean for roasting?? (able to cut them about a bit)

the reason I ask is....lots of you have said how good the Cara are (which sounds great) but....if these are to be baked as a jacket potato....the last thing you want to find is a slug in the middle of it!! :o

a confused H.P. (often the way tho ???)

Its a bit like russian roulette. We had some last night for tea, mine was fine, the missus's was'nt, but digused it with cheese and mince before i served it.... ;D
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal