Author Topic: Wilko's Bulbs  (Read 3897 times)

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
Wilko's Bulbs
« on: January 13, 2006, 09:28:37 »
HI all
I see Wilkinsons have got their bulbs for sale and wondered about the quality as i don't doubt the "price is right" they're selling for example Aganthanpus @99p eack and packs of four Lillium @£2.29. good prices if the stock is OK!
Please let me have your opions or better your experiences with this shop!!
a.s.a.p then i can buy or not as the case may be.
Cheers KevB
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: Wilko's Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 12:03:35 »
Hi,
Wilcos is a great place to shop get there before they all go.
Aganthanpus @99p each I bought two from there a few years ago and I paid 1.50 each they are now in large pots I can just lift and flower like mad.
One tip is as soon as the shop gets these in buy them and pot them on asap even something to go in the garden plants dont do too well in plastic bags for too long.

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 16:24:37 »
I have always found them to be really cheap, and always grow weel, no problemo whats so ever! :)

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 16:36:27 »
We have found in the past that the size of the Lily bulbs for example, means that they often have not reached flowering size. Compare them to those sold in other outlets for size. Otherwise the quality of the product has never been a problem.
Gardening is the great leveller.

peterpiper

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 18:33:04 »
go for it. i brought packets of lavender, pampas grass and others last year back of autumn. they are growing like good uns.
pete

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
  • Happy Tummies:)
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 10:17:42 »
I've bought spring- and summer-flowering bulbs from wilkos with good results - last weekend i bought over 20 lily bulbs for the lotty, they all felt nice and solid, couldn't see any mould or dodgy bits and they were of a fairly good size - roll on the bouquets in the summer ;D
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
'Kubla Khan' Samuel Taylor Coleridge

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 14:06:50 »
It would seem that a Wilkinsons is opening up right in the centre of Watford. 

If this store is one and the same of which you speak I can hardly wait!! :)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 17:48:19 »
Yes, Flowerlady, they are one and the same ;D. 

My experience of Wilko has been the same as Eric's.  Agapanthus and lilies bought last year produced only leaves.  I've left them in the pots in the hope that this year they'll do better.  I planted daffodils in the autumn.  No signs of them yet but I'm hopeful.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 18:04:50 »
There is a thread on here about fruit trees.

Did you ever buy a tree from them?
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 18:18:13 »
Were you asking me, Flowerlady? :)  If so, the answer's no, although I was tempted by the sight/price of a conference pear in there today.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 18:24:42 »
Jill, have a read of the fruit trees at wilkos thread in the edible section !!  you might change your mind!  ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal