Author Topic: First trip to the allotment  (Read 1884 times)

emma h

• Quarter Acre
First trip to the allotment
« on: January 08, 2006, 18:43:02 »
We went for the first time today. The plot isn't overgrown, but very weedy. I have started weeding, but it could take a long time ;D. Should I do anything to the freshly weeded soil (cover? manure?) or just leave it?

Allso the kids dug up a bucket of parsnips and onions, they look great. Do you think they will be OK to eat?

Emma
feeling exhausted, achey but raring to go

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
Re: First trip to the allotment
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 18:56:56 »
Emma
Lucky you for getting onto your plot.  I can't wait.

http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 18:58:13 »
Yep give em a go Emma, you've nothing to lose, and yep cover the weeds to keep out the light.  HOw old are your sprogs though, mine do a brilliant job of weeding!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you had a good day today :D
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 19:15:37 »
If you can cover the soil with mulch of some sort it's definitely best - stops all the goodness leaching away in wet old winter, and gets the soil warmer, quicker for those early plantings....
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

emma h

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 20:40:04 »
The parsnips and onions were yummy ;D ;D ;D

We got the kids helping today The boys (10, 11 and 12)have been given a bed each which they weeded and then pick axed :o (tools found in the shed), The girls (8, 7 and 5) helped me, collected worms and played swingball. DH tidies the shed ;D

There are 15 rectangular beds in our plot, and the 1/2 plot next door is rather more overgrown, but I think we will take it on.  We have 2 beds filled with bushes..no idea what but I'm sure we will find out in the summer. We've also got a lot of fruit bushes and 2 ponds (1 has lots of reeds in it). The plot was organic for the past 2 years, and we are carrying on the same (might not get organic seeds though). I'm hoping it will be a good family hobby.

Emma

Nathan

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 21:57:24 »
My children usually like the lottie, and we have a rule that they don't have to do any jobs... unless they are fun!

Ruth (12) absolutely loved growing sunflowers....   Alice (14) never did any weeding in her plot,  and Richard (8) was precise and meticulous with all his veg in straight lines.  All their personalities showed through in their plots!

Hope you have as much fun as we have.
Nathan

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 22:46:24 »
Nathan - you forgot to say how old your Richard is!!....my eldest is a  Richard too but grown up and he was/still is tidy & meticulous with everything in his bedroom  :o  unusual I know, but true! - maybe it's the name  ;)

sounds like you all have fun at the lottie - I've taken my grandson once to mine & he loved it....will do again when the better weather comes. H.P.

iain

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 00:10:30 »
Emma good luck with your plot, I got mine just before Christmas and have not really been down there because of the weather, plus work commitments but I hope to get there @ weekend all being well.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 07:24:09 »
Emma your plot sounds to be in a good state to start off with which is brilliant compared with how lots of people start off on here.  Enjoy it, I think growing veg is the most wonderful hobby and everyone benefits.  I am still trying to convince my OH that I need an allotment as well as my veggie patch!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 08:42:31 »
Hopefully this is the start of a fruitful and rewarding hobby, if not a lifestyle adjustment. It has certainly been wonderful for me ...

emma h

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 09:06:31 »
I am really enjoying it...I am still pretty unsure what I'm doing, but if I make a mistake I don't mind, it is just lovely to potter around.

I've been really lucky getting this plot I know, however the holder before last was the Secretary of the allotment for about 30 yrs and apparantly he still comes and checks it over :o

The kids love it too, which is great as I wanted a real family hobby

Emma

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal