Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 21591 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2006, 18:59:26 »
I'm in the middle of James Blish's 'Cities in Flight' series. I read it way back in the early 70's, and I'm enjoying it just as much now.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2006, 20:16:44 »
Lorna I kind've want to read Gloria Hunnyford's book about Caron but I think I'll get too upset. She was  part of my era I guess,same sort of age with two kids etc. Makes me sad just to think about it.

Ceratona, Rob and Aqui. I now need to check out Megalithic Europe. Has got me very interested that has.

Did anyone else read the Silver Brumby stories?

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2006, 20:31:25 »
Heldi. I understand what you are saying, yes it is a sad story (I lost a great niece aged 35 in May 2003  which was 4 months after losing my husband. She like Caron had fought cancer for 7 years). However there are some lovely "normal" family times and both these ladies have my admiration. They were both such positive people.

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2006, 20:48:20 »
I also enjoyed The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.

I've read that - mixed feelings about it though. I guess the subject matter was too stressful for bedtime reading.

Recently read "The Time Traveller's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger. Again I enjoyed it, but it was an unusal format - no beginning, middle or end. Iguess that's the nature of being a time traveller.

Just finished "Wee Free Men" by Terry Pratchet

Anyone read "Cross Stitch" by Diana Gabaldon? Now that's an excellent book - right up my alley. So are Melanie Rawn's
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2006, 20:49:31 »
I'm currently reading The Autograph Man by Zadie Smith, I read White Teeth not so long ago and enjoyed that too.
Books that made a big impact on me when young - hard to answer, there were so many - I think the list must include:
The Domes of Mars by Patrick Moore and Secret of the Lost Planet by Angus MacVicar, which are dreadfully twee science fiction books by today's standards, but they got me hooked at 7 years old, also all the William books by Richmal Crompton and Jennings books by Anthony Buckeridge, and I wonder if anyone else ever read the Bindle books??
Then, after that, at 9 or 10 the next milestone was Beyond Belief by Emlyn Williams, about the Moors Murders, followed by The Bible which I read from cover to cover.
Don't recall reading much in my teens, but later in life have read and enjoyed An Experiment with Time by J.W.Dunne, Das Kapital, Ragged Trousered Philanthropists, and have continued to enjoy science fiction such as Timescape by Gregory Benford, all science fiction really, technical books on things I don't know about, a book called The Reckoning about the downfall of the US and the rise of the Japanese car industry , and oddly (it seems to me anyway) books such as Evelina by Frances Burney, which I couldn't put down. I'm sure I will think of more, and kick myself for not including them.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2006, 21:01:37 »
My list could change every week - I hate parting with books I enjoy and am loathe even to lend them in case I don't get them back!  Every so often I have to put books to the charity shop but there are 3 bookshelves full and odd piles tucked away in corners.....
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2006, 21:26:32 »
I am currently reading a book about JOHN KENNEDY, i cannot get enough of them , i had another for Christmas, i find it all very interesting.Read many books on the KENNEDY family.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2006, 21:32:06 »
Jenny I was wondering if anyone would mention The Bible.

I read The Lovely Bones and I can't make my mind up if I enjoyed it or not.

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2006, 21:48:31 »
Time Traveller's Wife  - I loved and last really good read was "My sister's keeper" and then "The Pact" by Jodi Picoult.  Both kept me hooked until the end and had me thinking long after I'd turned the last page.  I can happily flit between trashy holiday romps and Harry Potter and from The Children of Cherry Tree Farm (my own favourite Enid Blyton childhood book to Photoshop for Dummies!  I have been known even to read "The History of Leeds United" because it was the only thing in the house I hadn't read!  I just hate not having a book on the go.    >:(
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

Glyn

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2006, 23:20:50 »
I'm about to start.. "An instance in the fingerpost" By Iain Pears..set in the 1660s. Recommend "Sarum" the novel of England...Brilliant.
Loved....Enid Blyton, wind in the willows, Tolkien, C s Lewis...other's I have vivid images of but can't remember author's name's..all classics though.
;D ;D ;D ;D

Yellow Petals

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2006, 23:26:00 »
Recently finished Eyewitness Auschwitz and another called No Safe Place (true life crime of a man who had his wife murdered - the mother of his three children :( ) Have just started a book based on five diaries of holocaust victims which will be followed by diaries of young men called up for National Service.  Now, where's the valium?  ;D ;D

Please note: somewhere in there I will slip in the biography of Barry Manilow.  Oi!  Who's that sniggering at the back? ?

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2006, 23:46:41 »

Just finished  Emotianal Intelligence by Daniel Golman  and about to start
   The Emotional Brain  by Joseph Le Doux...not my usual forte...prefer
   a good murder....First book that I ever read was Treasure Island and after
   reading it that was me hooked....I always have at least 2 books on the go
   and like others I loathe to part with them I have well in excess of 4,000
   books between the attic, bookcases and assorted shelves....pssssst
   not a word to my OH... ;D ;D who's Barry Manilow ??

SueT

• Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2006, 00:08:53 »
The Lovely Bones..............a great choice Heldi!  Written from the perspective of the victim and I found it fascinating.

Sue

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2006, 00:13:44 »
Agree SueT and Heldi - Lovely Bones really impressed - come to think of it I gave my g'daughter it to read and she hasn't returned it grrr..
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Glyn

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2006, 00:53:42 »
I was wondering if anyone would mention The Bible.
I did once...but I think I got away with it?
;D ;D ;D ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2006, 06:29:29 »
I spend a great deal of time on it, but most of it's academic stuff. My first concern is to try to understand what the guys who wrote it were getting at, in an environment which is almost incomprehensible today. That's often very different from what churches reads into it now. I've been a Methodist preacher for 18 years, but I tend to be rather unorthodox.

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2006, 07:56:35 »
Please note: somewhere in there I will slip in the biography of Barry Manilow.  Oi!  Who's that sniggering at the back? ?

Sorry YP - that was me.
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2006, 10:21:03 »
As a child the choice of books in the house was Black Beauty or The Adventures of Sinbad. Black Beauty just didn't float my boat but I still have the Adventures and still love reading it ( and it still smells old and musty and full of secrets)

I then graduated to absolutely anything I could get my hand on but remember getting hooked on the Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators Series - like Famous 5 but set in the 70's.

The book I remember having a big impact in my late teens was A Scot's Quair by Lewis Grassic Gibbon.

Currently reading The Good Doctor by Damon Galgut, one of Robert Wilson's police novels set in Seville and Monty Don's My Roots.

Used to work in Wilmslow ( dahhhhlings)  and discovered that the charity shops there had a great supply of recent, quality fiction, so bought stacks of speculative paperbacks before I finished there so plenty to go at.  Most get recycled back out to my local hospice.

Toodle Pip
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2006, 10:51:12 »
I have just started reading a book called "Under the Weather".  It is a book about how weather patterns can affect people's health and their moods.  I thought it would be interesting as I feel it certainly has an effect on me. I have always loved reading and as a teenager used to go to the library about three times a week.  Loved everything from Jane Austin to Isaac Asimov, and then last year I found out I was born in the Library at Stagshaw House in Corbridge, Northumberland, which really tickled me.  :) busy_lizzie   
live your days not count your years

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2006, 11:01:12 »
What a great idea for a thread Froglets! Plocket, I love 'The Secret Garden' too.
I'm a voracious reader and feel bereft if I don't have a book on the go. Luckily we have a brilliant library in the village otherwise it would be mortgage-level spending at bookshops.

Also loved Black Beauty as a child and I re-read it again a few months ago, the magic was still there.

Been through the classics although can't get on with Dickens, for relaxation like crime stories, anything really. Was very struck by 'The lovely Bones'. Currently enjoying Daphne du Maurier's 'The King's General.

OH has just come up with a selection of Russian classics he read while at University. Have read a couple of them but have kept them all for now rather than donating to the library!

Happy reading!

CLx

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal